News News Organisation 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies May 5, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts MexicoAmericas NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say MexicoAmericas (RSF/IFEX) – In a letter to Minister of the Interior Santiago Creel Miranda, RSF expressed outrage over the assassination of Félix Alonso Fernández García, editor of the weekly “Nueva Opción”, on 18 January 2002 in Miguel Alemán city, Tamaulipas state (north-eastern Mexico). “This assassination is a testament to the difficult situation faced by journalists in that part of the country, where they must battle drug traffickers,” stated RSF Secretary-General Robert Ménard. Moreover, the organisation asked the minister to do everything possible to ensure that those responsible are identified and punished.According to information gathered by RSF, Fernández García, editor of the weekly “Nueva Opción”, distributed in Tamaulipas State (north-eastern Mexico), was shot dead on 18 January in Miguel Alemán city, in Tamaulipas State. The journalist had recently reported in “Nueva Opción” on alleged relations between former Mayor Miguel Alemán, Raúl Rodríguez Barrera and drug traffickers. In 2001, the journalist had informed police of these relations. A few days before his death, the journalist had accused the former mayor of wanting to kill him. Two bodyguards had been protecting Fernández García and were present the day he was killed. The journalist had previously worked at a daily owned by Rodríguez Barrera, before joining the daily “Nueva Opción”. January 23, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 RSF outraged over journalist’s murder Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state News May 13, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Mexico RSF_en RSF expressed outrage over the assassination of Félix Alonso Fernández García, editor of the weekly “Nueva Opción”, on 18 January 2002 in Miguel Alemán city, Tamaulipas state (north-eastern Mexico). Reports April 28, 2021 Find out more to go further
Sinn Féin believes that quality work experience programmes can provide a useful means of enhancing skills and providing a valuable first step into the world of work. They also claim that the current system displaces paid work, depresses wages and facilitates abuse by some employers.Cllr Quinlivan explained that as part of his party’s proposed scheme tailored internships would be developed sector by sector in full co-operation with trade unions and Education and Training Boards. Employers, he said, would be supported to be the best mentors that they can be. Facebook Twitter “We propose an internship scheme that supports jobseekers to attain real quality jobs without limiting the number of proper job vacancies available. Sinn Féin’s proposals maximise decent pay for decent work,” he said. Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Print NewsLocal NewsNew proposal to support Limerick jobseekers with real jobsBy Alan Jacques – February 26, 2015 662 Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live TAGSCllr Maurice QuinlivanJobBridgelimerickLimerick jobsSinn Fein WhatsApp by Alan [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Cllr Maurice QuinlivanLIMERICK Sinn Féin councillor Maurice Quinlivan believes his party’s newly launched proposals on internships provide a credible, workable and thoroughly necessary alternative to the “despised” JobBridge scheme.Following the launch of Sinn Féin’s ‘Displacing JobBridge’ strategy for an alternative internship scheme this week, Cllr Quinlivan said that the JobBridge scheme launched by the Fine Gael and Labour Party Government in June 2011, was “an absolute disaster.”“While some individuals may have had a positive experience, it is a scheme that leaves thousands of jobseekers vulnerable to exploitation. It has already reduced the number of real job opportunities available and if it is not closed down now, thousands of new entry level positions that should come into being in the months and years ahead will emerge as unpaid internships instead,” he said.According to the City North councillor, Sinn Féin propose to replace the “one-size-fits-all” JobBridge scheme with a new participant centred model for internships. He also said that he envisages a substantial increase in the range of apprenticeships available.“The model we propose would not displace apprenticeships, paid in-work training or jobs. It would afford those genuinely in need of some work experience with meaningful learning opportunities.” Advertisement Previous articleMunster face Glasgow as Limerick sides meet in #UBLNext articleRattling good tales from The Boneyard bodies Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Linkedin Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Email
A statement released by United on Wednesday afternoon read: ‘Manchester United is delighted to announce it has reached agreement with Sporting Clube de Portugal for the transfer of Bruno Fernandes. ‘The deal is subject to a medical and the agreement of personal terms.’ United striker Marcus Rashford replied to the club’s announcement statement on Twitter by saying: ‘Welcome Bruno.’ The player’s agent Miguel Ruben Pinho posted a photo of them on the plane before they flew from Lisbon, and Fernandes then shared a picture of himself arriving in Manchester with his partner Ana Pinho and their daughter Matilde. Sporting also took to social media to wish Fernandes – who cost £7.2m from Sampdoria in 2017 – good luck, tweeting: ‘Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. Good luck and thank you, captain.’ Loading… Read Also: Tension as Barcelona ‘hijack’ Man United transfer target It’s understood that the add-ons include a £4.2m payment to Sporting if United qualify for the Champions League, another £4.2m based on Fernandes’s appearances for the club and a separate £12.6m if individual targets are met. Assuming Fernandes passes his medical, he could feature in United’s home Premier League fixture against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday evening. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content20 “The Big Bang Theory” Moments Only A Few Fans Knew About7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The WorldThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The World7 Things That Actually Ruin Your Phone12 Iconic Actors Whose Careers Were Stunted By A Single MovieWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty PennyWhat Is A Black Hole And Is It Dangerous For Us All?This Is Why Plus-Size Models Should Always Be An InspirationBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooPretty Awesome Shows That Just Got Canceled Bruno Fernandes arrived at The Lowry Hotel on Wednesday night as he prepared to complete his £67.8million move to Manchester United. Fernandes (left) pictured alongside his agent (right) on the private plane to Manchester Fernandes jumped on a flight to Manchester as soon as United and Sporting Lisbon had put the final touches to the transfer that will cost the Premier League club an initial £46.6m plus up to £21.2m in add-ons. The 25-year-old midfielder will undergo a medical on Thursday and could be available to make his debut against Wolves at Old Trafford on Saturday before United take a 16-day winter break that includes a warm-weather training camp in Marbella. Fernandes arrived at Lisbon Airport on Wednesday afternoon to fly by private jet to Manchester to complete his move to United The club officially confirmed on Wednesday that terms had been agreed with Sporting, who once sold Cristiano Ronaldo to United for £12.24m, and manager Ole Gunnar welcomed news that the protracted transfer was close to completion. ‘I’m delighted we’ve agreed,’ said Solskjaer. ‘There have been good negotiations with Sporting and we know, through history, these two clubs have been good with each other.‘Now we’ve reached that agreement, hopefully we can get the boy’s contract over the line and the medical done and then, hopefully we can announce it that we’ve got the deal through and – it’s very exciting.’
But the Clippers, too proud to simply go away, found a way to threaten.The comeback started in the third quarter, just when it looked like the Clippers were ready to pack their suitcases and get on the plane to the next city in this six-game tour across the continental United States.Down 17, the team started to climb back slowly until J.J. Redick and the Clipper offense took off like they were powered by rocket fuel.Redick scored 11 straight near the end of the third quarter — he had 18 in the frame — getting the Clippers in position to pull off the improbable.The Clipper bench, which played so well in the team’s win in Dallas on Wednesday night, finally nudged the Clippers ahead for the first time since early in the game. Raymond Felton’s score put them up 84-82 — a notable moment in the game because of what came next.“We fought. I liked the way we fought back into it,” Clippers forward Blake Griffin said. “We’ve just got to execute better down the stretch.”The Clipper defense stopped getting stops, the offense stopped getting scored and in a matter of minutes, the Clippers were back down 11 points.And, as they tried to make some kind of miracle happen, the Clippers were simply too sloppy, with Redick and Chris Paul committing crucial turnovers.“We made some critical errors,” Griffin said. AUBURN HILLS, Mich. >> The bulky forward with skills couldn’t be guarded. The quick point guard from Wake Forest drove into the paint and threw the ball up for the athletic center to catch and slam home.This was Clipper basketball at its finest. Too bad for them it was the Pistons playing that way Friday night.Tobias Harris torched the Clipper defense, Ish Smith hit big shots and made big passes and Andre Drummond dominated above the rim in the Pistons’ 108-97 win.“They came to play,” Clippers coach Doc Rivers said of the Pistons. “They were ready to play. I thought we just kind of showed up.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error All five Piston starters scored in double figures.The win snapped an 11-game losing streak to the Clippers. It’s also the Clippers’ first road loss this season.The Pistons, who were blown out by the Clippers at Staples Center 114-82 earlier this season, looked like they were going to return the favor, jumping out to an 18-point lead midway into the second quarter.They, not the Clippers, forced the turnovers (nine in the first half). They, not the Clippers, won the battles in the paint. They, not the Clippers, got balanced production from almost everyone who stepped on the court.“It’s rough,” Clippers guard Raymond Felton said. “We weren’t our usual selves tonight.”
FORT MCMURRAY, Alta. – It’s been one year since a wildfire devastated parts of the northern Alberta city of Fort McMurray. Here is a look at the rebuild by the numbers:1,595: Number of buildings and structures destroyed in the fire. Includes 2,579 dwelling units.650: Approximate number of development permits issued by Fort McMurray since the fire, representing about 900 dwelling units.222: Number of single-family homes started in the first three months of the year. Most starts in a three-month stretch since early 2008.179: Number of homebuilders that have registered under new disclosure laws to do work in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.33: Approximate number of families living in rebuilt homes as of the start of April.48,000: Roughly the total number of insurance claims expected to be processed. Includes 12,000 auto claims and 25,000 home claims.$80,000: Average insurance payout per claim.$3.8 billion: Estimated total payout in insurance claims.9.8: Unemployment rate for the Wood Buffalo-Cold Lake area as of March 2016.9.1: Unemployment rate for the Wood Buffalo-Cold Lake area as of March 2017.600: Approximate decline in student numbers in public and Catholic schools for 2016-2017 year. Total enrolment slightly more than 11,000 between the two school systems.1.5 million: Average barrels of oil per day produced from the oilsands before the fire.3 million: Record high number of barrels per day produced from the oilsands in November, six months after the fire.12,000: Estimated number of fridges and freezers that had to be replaced, according to Insurance Bureau of Canada.$660,000: Median home price in March 2016 on 21 homes sold.$560,000: Median sale price of the 45 single detached homes sold in March.11: Number of single family vacant lots sold in March, at a median sale price of $156,000, compared with none sold in March 2016.17.8: Total vacancy rate for Wood Buffalo as of October 2016. A year earlier it stood at 29.3 per cent.29,068: Number of mental-health-related client contacts between May 10, 2016, and March 18, 2017, at Alberta Health Services Addiction and Mental Health in Fort McMurray and Wood Buffalo.$189 million: Total amount of money donated to the Red Cross.$134 million: Total value of donations that were matched by the federal and provincial governments.$231 million: Total amount the Red Cross says it spent to support individuals and families.$30 million: Total amount the Red Cross says it spent to support small businesses.$50 million: Total amount the Red Cross says it spent to support community groups.10,900: The number of plane and bus tickets the Red Cross booked to help people return home.37,000: The number of cleanup kits handed out to returning evacuees.6,000 per cent: The surge in social media traffic the Red Cross saw in the aftermath of the fire.40: The number of volunteers required to manage the Red Cross social media accounts.