Posted on Leave a comment

Another reformist journalist arrested

first_imgNews News News June 9, 2021 Find out more News Reporters Without Borders today called for the immediate release of Rozbeh Mir Ebrahimi, a former political editor of the reformist daily Etemad, condemning his arrest without a warrant at his Tehran home on 27 September as a violation of Iranian and international law.The organisation also condemned the summons issued to two other journalists to appear before judicial officials on 25 September, saying they were designed to intimidate not only them but the entire reformist press.Ebrahimi was arrested by ” individuals who said they were police” but had no arrest warrant, his wife, Sulmaz Sharifi, told the student news agency Isna. “They searched our home and asked my husband about his activities on various Internet sites. They said he would be released quickly but they did not explain the reasons for his arrest and, until now, I’ve not been able to speak to him.”Ebrahimi also used to work for other reformist newspapers that have been closed down, including the daily Jomhouriyat, which the judicial authorities banned on 18 July.At least three journalists working for websites have been arrested in recent weeks. One, Babak Ghafori Azar, was freed on 21 September but two others, Hanif Mazroi and Shahram Rafihzadeh, are still in prison, apparently in connection with the blocking of the Rouydad website (www.rouydad.info) since 21 August on the orders of the Tehran state prosecutor’s office. Rafihzadeh was also the editor of the culture section of Etemad, which means “Trust” in Farsi.The Iranian authorities reinforced the ban on several pro-reformist websites at the start of August and, for several months, they have been forcing Internet service providers to install filters to block access to porn sites and some political sites.Meanwhile, the families of three journalists imprisoned since June 2003 – Taghi Rahmani of the weekly Omid-e-Zangan, Hoda Saber of the monthly Iran-e-Farda and Reza Alijani, the editor of Iran-e-Farda and winner of the 2001 Reporters Without Borders-Fondation de France award – have written an open letter protesting about their prison conditions.”We have had no news of them for three weeks,” they said in the letter. “We are very worried. We don’t think it is normal that after 380 days in detention, 135 of them in solitary confinement, these three illegally-held journalists should be put in solitary confinement again.” The lawyer acting for the journalists, Mohammad Sharif, said he was only recently able to see them for the first time after they had been held for more than a year.The two journalists summoned for questioning on 25 September were Kivan Samimi Behbani, the editor of the independent monthly Nameh (“The Letter” in Farsi), and Lotfolah Meysami, the editor of the monthly Chashm Andaz (“Panorama” in Farsi).Behbani, who got his summons from the 6th division of the Tehran court, was questioned about an article that is the subject of a complaint filed with the prosecutor’s office. Nameh has been the subject of several warnings from the ministry of Islamic guidance since the start of the year and everything suggests that the judiciary is about to close it down.Meysami was summoned by the 6th division of the Tehran court in connection with a judicial investigation against his newspaper. It is the second investigation to have been initiated by the court against Chashm Andaz. Follow the news on Iran IranMiddle East – North Africa Help by sharing this information Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists September 29, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Another reformist journalist arrested center_img RSF_en Organisation IranMiddle East – North Africa to go further Receive email alerts March 18, 2021 Find out more Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists February 25, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Posted on Leave a comment

Murder investigation begins after fatal stabbing

first_imgAdvertisement NewsLocal NewsMurder investigation begins after fatal stabbingBy admin – January 18, 2012 498 Facebook Print Previous articleEagles soar to final spotNext articleMentors sought for Le Cheile Mentoring Project admin A MURDER garda investigation is to get underway in Limerick after a 43-year-old man was found outside a house with multiple stab wounds by members of the ambulance service. The man was found by the emergency services outside a house on Lenihan Avenue shortly after 12.30am in the early hours of Wednesday morning.  Gardai from Roxboro were alerted to attend the scene and they say that the man was found on the steps outside the front door of the house in the city with multiple stab wounds and he was taken to the Mid Western Regional Hospital.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up WhatsApp Twitter Linkedin However the man was later pronounced dead.The State Pathologist’s office attended the scene which has been sealed off and a technical examination of the area is being carried out by the Garda Technical Bureau.A postmortem is to be carried out on the remains.It is understood that the victim was known to gardai and was from the area. Emaillast_img read more

Posted on Leave a comment

Too fat to fly? Stranded Frenchman’s long ordeal

first_img 29 Views   no discussions Share Share HealthInternationalLifestylePrint Too fat to fly? Stranded Frenchman’s long ordeal by: – November 21, 2013 Sharing is caring!center_img Share Tweet Kenneth ChenaisLONDON (AP) — He’s been turned down by planes, trains and even a cruise ship in his quest to return home — and his family says it’s because he has been deemed too fat to travel.Now Frenchman Kevin Chenais’ long and fitful journey is coming to an end.Chenais, who weighs 500 pounds (230 kilogrammes), says he has been repeatedly refused transport over the past two weeks as he sought to get home to France from the United States. P&O Ferries finally offered to take him in an ambulance across the English Channel on Wednesday, the final hurdle keeping him from his home near the Swiss border.“It’s terrible. It’s discrimination. It was very hard, tiring and a big waste of money for my parents,” the 22-year-old told RTL radio on Wednesday.Slumped over in his mobility scooter, he said he was exhausted just before being loaded into the ambulance.Chenais’ mother was outraged by the treatment her son allegedly received, saying he was discriminated against because of his weight.“It’s not the fault of my son to be big. He has a genetic illness,” Christina Chenais said. “We are very happy to go home after this long, distressing and traumatic situation.”The odyssey began when British Airways refused to honour his return ticket from the United States, where he spent months receiving medical care for a hormone imbalance.“When we talked about this problem with British Airways that Kevin was too fat … (they said) abandon any intention of coming back to France,” Kevin’s father, Rene, told RTL Radio. “From the fact of his incapacity, his obesity, he was not considered to be a normal being, but more like a problem.”BA acknowledges that it refused to let Chenais board the plane, but said confidentiality rules prevent it from saying why. BA insisted that it does not discriminate against customers for any reason and that the airline provides the option of an extra seat to people who contact them with concerns about seat width.“We respect the privacy of the customer so cannot comment on any changes in circumstance between arrival and departure dates,” the company said in a statement. British Airways declined to say what the changes in circumstance had been.Chenais said Carnival Cruises also rejected his request for a cabin on a trans-Atlantic voyage. The company declined to comment.Virgin Atlantic airlines stepped in to fly him to London, he said. The company refused to comment on the topic to The Associated Press.From London, Chenais had planned to take the Eurostar train home. But Eurostar refused to allow him on board because of safety rules governing travel through the Channel Tunnel: The high-speed train that connects England to France and Belgium requires all passengers to have the ability to be safely evacuated — and Chenais’ obesity-caused lack of mobility made that impossible.“This is a terrible situation,” Eurostar said in a statement. “Our heart goes out to Mr Chenais and his family who are understandably desperate to return home after being stranded in America.”Eurostar paid for the family’s hotel room and worked with P&O to find a solution.“It’s difficult to imagine the frustration that this gentleman has gone through,” P&O spokesman Chris Laming said in a statement. “But for us, it’s very straightforward, as we are set up to carry people who have medical needs.”The ferry company took Chenais and his family across the English Channel late Wednesday to Calais. From there, the family was driving to the French town of Ferney-Voltaire, 740 kilometres (460 miles) to the southeast.“I am waiting to see my sisters and the other people in my family,” Chenais told RTL radio. “I couldn’t have imagined this for us.”Associated Presslast_img read more