Posted on Leave a comment

Pressure mounts on journalists as EU denounces human rights violations

first_img October 24, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Pressure mounts on journalists as EU denounces human rights violations June 9, 2021 Find out more News Organisation News IranMiddle East – North Africa March 18, 2021 Find out more After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists IranMiddle East – North Africa Follow the news on Iran Receive email alertscenter_img February 25, 2021 Find out more Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists RSF_en News Help by sharing this information to go further Reporters Without Borders protested today against the sentencing of journalist Hassan Yussefi Eshkevari to seven years in prison and called on the European Union (EU) to step up pressure on the Iranian regime to respect human rights, stop hounding journalists and give news about those it had jailed.”The press freedom situation in Iran gets more disturbing every day,” said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard, who noted that 10 journalists were currently imprisoned in Iran serving sentences of between three and 11 years. Iran is the Middle East’s worst offender for jailing journalists.A meeting of EU foreign ministers expressed their concern on 21 October at Iran’s violations of human rights, freedom of expression and the rights of minorities and women.Eshkevari was told on 12 October, after being summoned from prison by the religious court in Teheran, to be told he had been sentenced to seven years imprisonment. This included four years for saying that wearing the Islamic veil and other female dress codes were rooted in Iran’s culture and history and were not necessary in Islam, one year for taking part in an international conference in Berlin in 2000 about political and social reform in Iran and two years for “putting out false news.”Eshkevari, a theologian and contributor to the monthly Iran-é-Farda, was jailed on 5 August 2000 in Teheran’s Evin prison. He was tried in secret by the special religious court in October that year, but the verdict had not been disclosed until now.The editor of the weekly Jamee-é-No, Fatemeh Kamali Ahmad Sarahi, wife of journalist Emadoldin Baghi (who has been in jail since May 2000), was interrogated on 21 October by the press court along with Ezatollah Sahabi, Iran-é-Farda’s managing editor.The same day, Reza Alijani, editor of Iran-é-Farda and winner of last year’s Reporters Without Borders – Fondation de France Prize, was summoned by the Teheran revolutionary court for the first time since his release on bail last 16 December.He had been arrested on 24 February last year. His trial is still going on.In recent weeks, Payam Afzalinejad, of Cinema-Jahan, has been summoned by Adareh Amaken, an organisation close to the intelligence services, and Mansour Bozorgian of Golestan-é-Iran has been interrogated by the press court.Meanwhile, the family of 71-year-old journalist Siamak Pourzand, jailed for “spying and undermining state security” and “having links with monarchists and counter-revolutionaries,” has had no news of him for several months.He was seized by security police on 29 November last year and on 3 May this year given an 11-year prison sentence, which was confirmed on appeal in early July. He was initially held in a secret place for four months without access to a lawyer or a doctor. Pourzand was head of Teheran’s artistic and cultural centre and also a cultural commentator for several reformist newspapers that have since been shut down. He was also frequently heard on foreign radio stations. Newslast_img read more

Posted on Leave a comment

El Comercio reporter threatened by drug kingpin’s henchmen

first_img News China’s diplomats must stop attacking media over coronavirus reporting PeruAmericas News News Reporters Without Borders calls on the government to do everything necessary to protect reporter Miguel Ramírez and his colleagues in the Lima-based daily El Comercio. Ramírez, who has been covering Fernando Zevallos, Peru’s most powerful drug trafficker, for more than 10 years, has been the target of death threats and slanderous allegations. Organisation Latin American media: under control of families, economic and political elites Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information February 28, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 El Comercio reporter threatened by drug kingpin’s henchmen to go further Latin America’s community radio – a key service but vulnerable RSF_en Follow the news on Peru PeruAmericas Reporters Without Borders appealed today for more vigilance from the authorities, especially the interior ministry, following telephone threats against Miguel Ramírez of the Lima-based daily El Comercio. Ramírez was also accused of “extortion” on 22 February by Luis Dávila, a detainee charged with drug trafficking who is believed to be in the pay of convicted drug kingpin Fernando Zevallos.“Ramírez has been covering the activities of Fernando Zevallos for more than 10 years and the fact that Zevallos is currently in prison does not prevent his networks from operating,” the press freedom organisation said. “It is dangerous for journalists to cover drug trafficking. Ramírez’s situation and that of the entire El Comercio staff require more vigilance from the relevant authorities,” the organisation added. “We also hope the judicial authorities will quickly shed light on these extortion allegations, which were clearly made with the aim of discrediting Ramírez.”Referring to drug traffickers yesterday in a phone call with Reporters Without Borders, Ramírez said, “I have for some time had the feeling that they have begun watching me again.” Five days ago, he got two calls at the newspaper warning that “the next one to be ripped apart will be this dog Ramírez.” He said he immediately linked this to the discovery two weeks ago of two dismembered bodies. One of the victims was the cousin of a detainee who is a prosecution witness against Zevallos.Ramírez arranged a meeting on 22 February with Dávila in the prison where he is being held in Huamanga, in the southwestern Ayacucho region, because Dávila had promised to give him information implicating Zevallos, his alleged boss. But when Ramírez arrived for the meeting, Dávila backed down and, in the presence of two prison guards, accusing him of trying to extort money. A prosecutor, Oscar Nuñez, who was summoned to the prison, said there was no evidence to support Dávila’s accusations. Ramírez told Reporters Without Borders: “This was a trap set by the drug traffickers, I have no doubt about that.”Ramírez has been covering Zevallos since 1995 and was already the target of death threats and extortion allegations in 2004. The former owner of the Aerocontinente airline, Zevallos is suspected of being Peru’s most powerful drug baron. The Supreme Court last year upheld his 20-year prison sentence for drug trafficking and money laundering. December 4, 2019 Find out more News April 1, 2020 Find out more February 10, 2017 Find out morelast_img read more

Posted on Leave a comment

Case adjourned pending directions of DPP

first_imgNewsLocal NewsCase adjourned pending directions of DPPBy admin – October 4, 2011 941 WhatsApp A CONVICTED gang rapist has been granted bail at Limerick District Court after he was arrested and charged with an assault on a woman, as well as breaches of the public order act. 24-year-old Dean Barry with an address at Garryglass Avenue was arrested after gardai were called to a disturbance on Vartry Avenue, Raheen. Barry was found at the scene to be involved with a number of others as part of a verbal dispute. Gardai told Limerick District Court that he was seen shouting and roaring at people in the vicinity shortly after 9.30pm.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up During the course of their initial investigation, gardai gave evidence that Barry was seen striking out at a female and punching her in the face. He was said to have been very abusive and highly intoxicated.Judge Eamon O’Brien heard that the accused man was arrested and charged with the offences and held to appear before court on September 29 last.Dean Barry has 47 previous convictions, including the gang rape of a woman in Cratloe while her boyfriend was locked in the car booth.Judge Eamon O’Brien consented to bail after no objection was made by the State and he was ordered to sign on, stay away from the alleged injured party and the area.Ted McCarthy solicitor was assigned as legal aid for the accused and the matter was adjourned until November 24 next for the directions of the DPP to be furnished to the court. Advertisement Print Emailcenter_img Facebook Twitter Previous article32-year-old man charged with Purcell murderNext articleLynxs deal launchpad for global cargo hub admin Linkedinlast_img read more