Posted on Leave a comment

Another reformist journalist arrested

first_imgNews News News June 9, 2021 Find out more News Reporters Without Borders today called for the immediate release of Rozbeh Mir Ebrahimi, a former political editor of the reformist daily Etemad, condemning his arrest without a warrant at his Tehran home on 27 September as a violation of Iranian and international law.The organisation also condemned the summons issued to two other journalists to appear before judicial officials on 25 September, saying they were designed to intimidate not only them but the entire reformist press.Ebrahimi was arrested by ” individuals who said they were police” but had no arrest warrant, his wife, Sulmaz Sharifi, told the student news agency Isna. “They searched our home and asked my husband about his activities on various Internet sites. They said he would be released quickly but they did not explain the reasons for his arrest and, until now, I’ve not been able to speak to him.”Ebrahimi also used to work for other reformist newspapers that have been closed down, including the daily Jomhouriyat, which the judicial authorities banned on 18 July.At least three journalists working for websites have been arrested in recent weeks. One, Babak Ghafori Azar, was freed on 21 September but two others, Hanif Mazroi and Shahram Rafihzadeh, are still in prison, apparently in connection with the blocking of the Rouydad website (www.rouydad.info) since 21 August on the orders of the Tehran state prosecutor’s office. Rafihzadeh was also the editor of the culture section of Etemad, which means “Trust” in Farsi.The Iranian authorities reinforced the ban on several pro-reformist websites at the start of August and, for several months, they have been forcing Internet service providers to install filters to block access to porn sites and some political sites.Meanwhile, the families of three journalists imprisoned since June 2003 – Taghi Rahmani of the weekly Omid-e-Zangan, Hoda Saber of the monthly Iran-e-Farda and Reza Alijani, the editor of Iran-e-Farda and winner of the 2001 Reporters Without Borders-Fondation de France award – have written an open letter protesting about their prison conditions.”We have had no news of them for three weeks,” they said in the letter. “We are very worried. We don’t think it is normal that after 380 days in detention, 135 of them in solitary confinement, these three illegally-held journalists should be put in solitary confinement again.” The lawyer acting for the journalists, Mohammad Sharif, said he was only recently able to see them for the first time after they had been held for more than a year.The two journalists summoned for questioning on 25 September were Kivan Samimi Behbani, the editor of the independent monthly Nameh (“The Letter” in Farsi), and Lotfolah Meysami, the editor of the monthly Chashm Andaz (“Panorama” in Farsi).Behbani, who got his summons from the 6th division of the Tehran court, was questioned about an article that is the subject of a complaint filed with the prosecutor’s office. Nameh has been the subject of several warnings from the ministry of Islamic guidance since the start of the year and everything suggests that the judiciary is about to close it down.Meysami was summoned by the 6th division of the Tehran court in connection with a judicial investigation against his newspaper. It is the second investigation to have been initiated by the court against Chashm Andaz. Follow the news on Iran IranMiddle East – North Africa Help by sharing this information Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists September 29, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Another reformist journalist arrested center_img RSF_en Organisation IranMiddle East – North Africa to go further Receive email alerts March 18, 2021 Find out more Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists February 25, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Posted on Leave a comment

Popular E-Waste Recycling and Document Shredding Event

first_img faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPasadena Public WorksPasadena Water and PowerPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes Subscribe More Cool Stuff Community News Top of the News Residents and businesses can safely dispose of electronic waste and have personal and business documents shredded at the City’s popular e-waste event from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 7, 2015, in Parking Lot I outside the Rose Bowl Stadium near Brookside Park, 360 N. Arroyo Blvd. The event is sponsored by the City’s Department of Public Works.Shredding trucks and e-waste collection sites will be arranged at different stations in Parking Lot I. Look for signs directing you to the event. Motorists and bicyclists are advised to use caution while traveling through the area.E-waste items include computers, keyboards, printers, monitors, laptops, docking stations, scanners, shredders, fax machines, computer mice, telephones, televisions, flat screens, VCRs, DVD players, PDAs, cassette players, tape drives, stereos and household batteries. Many of these products have parts that can be recycled.Public Works is also helping residents prevent identity theft by providing free paper shredding during the event. The public can bring a maximum of five legal-size boxes for shredding. Sensitive documents such as receipts, checks, pre-approved credit applications, credit card statements, outdated tax returns, pre-printed envelopes, return address labels and business cards are items that can be shredded.For more information about the free e-waste collection and document shredding event, visit www.cityofpasadena.net/PublicWorks or call (626) 744-7311.Stay connected to the City of Pasadena! Visit us online at www.cityofpasadena.net; follow the city on Twitter @PasadenaGov, www.twitter.com/pasadenagov, and like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cityofpasadena. Or call the Citizen Service Center, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at (626) 744-7311. Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Herbeauty10 Most Influential Women In HistoryHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyWant To Seriously Cut On Sugar? You Need To Know A Few TricksHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyGet Rid Of Unwanted Body Fat By Eating The Right FoodsHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty10 Secrets That Eastern Women Swear By To Stay Young LongerHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyThese Are 15 Great Style Tips From Asian WomenHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty6 Strong Female TV Characters Who Deserve To Have A SpinoffHerbeautyHerbeauty 5 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it center_img Name (required)  Mail (required) (not be published)  Website  Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena Community News Government Popular E-Waste Recycling and Document Shredding Event On Saturday, Feb. 7, 2015 Published on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 | 11:52 am Make a comment Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy Business News EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS First Heatwave Expected Next Week last_img read more

Posted on Leave a comment

Johnson Center awarded $100K Monday

first_img You Might Like Pizza delivery worker robbed Friday A 15-year old was taken into custody after he was alleged to have robbed a pizza delivery worker Friday night…. read more Remember America’s heroes on Memorial Day “I’m doing a little of both here today,” he said. “The leadership of this project has been outstanding and I appreciate the personal relationships that I’ve had with so many who are involved in the project — Mack Gibson who is a longtime friend. Mayor Jimmy Lunsford, who it seems like has been here always. Dr. Eloise Kirk, whose idea it was for the project. Dr. Linda Felton-Smith who is a giant in education and the staff of the Johnson Center and the board members.”Mitchell capsuled his thoughts on the “Looking Through the Lens” exhibition with a quote from Ronald Reagan, “No education is complete without an appreciation of the arts.”“I truly believe that,” Mitchell said. Print Article Book Nook to reopen Troy falls to No. 13 Clemson Pike County Sheriff’s Office offering community child ID kits Johnson Center awarded $100K Monday Email the author Mack Gibson, chairman of the Arts Center board, expressed appreciation to the Troy Board of Education and Mitchell for making the donation possible.“Two years ago, Jerry Vinson loaned a book to Eloise Kirk, one of our board members titled ‘Remembering a Vanishing World’ by Jerry’s uncle D.L. Hightower,” Gibson said. “The book contains black and white photographs of the agrarian society of Barbour County and the surrounding areas beginning in the 1920s and through the 1960s. Eloise believed that this book is indeed a hidden treasure and could become a wonderful exhibit for the Johnson Center for the Arts.”Kirk showed the book to Richard Metzger, Johnson Center executive director, and suggested that he consider Hightower’s work for exhibit. Metzger was already aware of the photographic works of Holman Johnson of Troy, which were housed in the Troy Public Library. Johnson’s photographs spanned a period from 1920 through 1998.Thus was born the idea of celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Johnson Center for the Arts, which is housed in the former Troy Post Office, with both the Hightower and Johnson exhibits. Published 10:02 pm Monday, March 15, 2010center_img The Johnson Center for the Arts, a part of the Troy-Pike Cultural Arts Center, received a donation in the amount of $100,000 Monday from the Troy Board of Education through funds made possible by Sen. Wendell Mitchell.These funds will be used to implement an instructional in-service program to train teachers to integrate the arts into their lesson plans. The funds will also be used to produce proper storage materials for the upcoming photography exhibit titled “Looking Through the Lens: 100 Years of Photography,” featuring the works of Holman Johnson of Troy and D.L. Hightower of Clayton.Mitchell said he once heard it said that people don’t give to projects, they give to people. By The Penny Hoarder Sponsored Content “Shadron Graham, a member of our staff contributed the name for the exhibit, ‘Looking Through the Lens – A Hundred Years of Photographs,’” Gibson said.Kirk and Wiley White, Arts Center development director, made up the grant committee that developed a proposal to secure funds for the exhibit and submitted the proposal to Mitchell.“We are aware of Sen. Mitchell’s contributions and his interest in the education of the children of his district and in all Alabama,” Gibson said. “The ‘Looking Through the Lens’ exhibit will be an educational experience with history and language arts lesson plans designed for third, fifth and eighth grade students.”The exhibit will premier in the Johnson Center on August 3, 2010 and run through Nov. 13, 2010.At the close of the Johnson Center exhibition, the exhibit will be made available as a free traveling exhibit titled ‘The Walking Wendell Mitchell History Lesson.’”“Senator Mitchell has been a great supporter of our Center from the onset, not only with financial assistance, but with his presence at many of our programs. We deeply appreciate what he has done and is doing for us as we continue to provide art education in a first class art museum for the citizens, especially children, of this town, county and surrounding counties,” said Mack Gibson, Chairman, Board of Directors. “As evidenced by this donation, Senator Mitchell continues to provide leadership, support and a strong vision for District 30. Through his ongoing support in bringing outstanding art and educational programs to the area help to ensure that the Troy-Pike Cultural Arts Center mission of Cultural enrichment of the lives of all citizens through exposure to and education in the arts is fulfilled,” said Richard Metzger, Executive Director, Troy-Pike Cultural Arts Center. Plans underway for historic Pike County celebration The Penny Hoarder Issues “Urgent” Alert: 6 Companies… Latest Stories By Jaine Treadwell Around the WebMd: Do This Immediately if You Have Acid Reflux (Watch Now)Healthy LifestyleIf You Have Ringing Ears Do This Immediately (Ends Tinnitus)Healthier LivingHave an Enlarged Prostate? Urologist Reveals: Do This Immediately (Watch)Healthier LivingWomen Only: Stretch This Muscle to Stop Bladder Leakage (Watch)Healthier LivingRemoving Moles & Skin Tags Has Never Been This EasyEssential HealthMost 10 Rarest Skins for FortniteTCGThe content you see here is paid for by the advertiser or content provider whose link you click on, and is recommended to you by Revcontent. As the leading platform for native advertising and content recommendation, Revcontent uses interest based targeting to select content that we think will be of particular interest to you. We encourage you to view your opt out options in Revcontent’s Privacy PolicyWant your content to appear on sites like this?Increase Your Engagement Now!Want to report this publisher’s content as misinformation?Submit a ReportGot it, thanks!Remove Content Link?Please choose a reason below:Fake NewsMisleadingNot InterestedOffensiveRepetitiveSubmitCancellast_img read more

Posted on Leave a comment

Welcome to Bakers Review!

first_imgFrom 30 January British Baker will be publishing Bakers Review in partnership with the National Association of Master Bakers (NAMB).Bakers Review will feature once a month within the pages of British Baker, covering the latest industry, legislation and regulation news as well as general advice on issues affecting craft bakery businesses.This means that British Baker will be the only magazine to target bakers and bakery buyers in craft, wholesale, plant, supermarkets, convenience stores, coffee shops and foodservice.The NAMB has been representing the interests of the craft baking industry throughout England and Wales for over a century.last_img

Posted on Leave a comment

Squad to seek European honours

first_img England Golf is sending a squad of six players to the European ladies’ amateur championship at Aura Golf in Turku, Finland, from July 24-27. They are: Sarah-Jane Boyd (Truro), Hayley Davis (Ferndown), Georgia Hall (Remedy Oak), Bronte Law (Bramhall), Meghan MacLaren (Wellingborough) and Alex Peters (Notts Ladies’). Sarah-Jane Boyd, 21, has recently added the English amateur championship to the British women’s stroke play title which she won last year. Her British win secured her place in this year’s Ricoh Women’s British Open over the Old Course at St Andrews. Hayley Davis, 20, is a past winner of the English women’s and girls’ championships She is currently a student at Baylor University, Texas, and has won on the US women’s college circuit. Georgia Hall, 17, was Europe’s number one woman golfer for 2012 and is the reigning British girls’ champion. She won two gold medals at the 2013 Australian Youth Olympic Festival and successfully made the cut in an LET event in Holland. Bronte Law, 18, helped GB&I win the 2012 Curtis Cup and also made the cut in last season’s Women’s British Open. She won the Cartier Trophy at the French Lady Junior Championship earlier this season. Meghan MacLaren, 19, is the new Irish stroke play champion and has won three times in her freshman year at Florida International University in the USA, including her conference championship. Alex Peters, 19, is the English women’s stroke play champion and was runner-up in the recent English amateur championship. Alex, who is also the Nottinghamshire champion, has played for England since she was 14. 11 Jun 2013 Squad to seek European honours last_img read more