Posted on Leave a comment

Council supports justice for ‘Magdalene’ women

first_imgEmail NewsLocal NewsCouncil supports justice for ‘Magdalene’ womenBy admin – July 7, 2011 528 JUSTICE for the thousands of women who were incarcerated in Magdalene laundries, including Limerick, has the backing of City Council. Cllr Maurice Quinlivan, referring to the proposals to decide how the government will respond to demands for an independent investigation into the Magdalene laundries, said:Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “This is an opportunity to show support and to acknowledge the suffering of these women and the failure of the State to protect them and ensure that restitution is made”.He has submitted a Notice of Motion to support the Justice for Magdalenes Survivor Advocacy Group’s call on the State to offer a formal apology to survivors. The United Nations Committee Against Torture expressed its grave concern at the failure to protect the women and girls involuntarily confined in Magdalene laundries.Pointing out that thousands were placed in laundries in Limerick and across the State, Cllr Quinlivan said:“They were treated as prisoners, worked like slaves and were subjected to horrifying levels of physical and psychological abuse – these were so called fallen women held against their will and dehumanised by the people in charge. “It is now almost 20 years since the exhumation of remains of 155 women held in the Magdalene laundry in Drumcondra, many buried without names or death certificates, which led to the formation of the Magdalene Memorial Committee, now called Justice for the Magdalenes”.Referring to the previous government’s argument that as the laundries were privately owned and operated, they did not come under the terms of the Residential Institutions Redress Board, Cllr Quinlivan said that the United Nations Committee against Torture had been informed that the courts regularly sent women and girls to the laundries as an alternative to jail, while others were transferred from industrial schools, the responsibility of the State.Cllr Kieran O’Hanlon, who lived close to the Good Shepherd Convent in Limerick, cautioned against victimising all nuns, many of whom, he said, are now elderly.“They should not all be blackened – some of them were probably victimised also”. Cllr John Gilligan said there had been “good and bad in these institutions.“Some years ago, I was disturbed to discover that the biggest headstone in Mount St Lawrence Cemetery had no names inscribed. I drew this to the attention of the council and we succeeded in having 170 names of women who had been in the Limerick laundry inscribed.“I recall hearing of a young girl who was kidnapped off the streets in Limerick and put into the laundry – she disappeared behind walls, and I also think of the rich people in Limerick who had their shirts laundered by these girls and women – we all deserve criticism”. Advertisement Facebook Twittercenter_img ‘I was disturbed to discover that the biggest headstone in Mount St Lawrence Cemetery had no names inscribed….’ Print Linkedin WhatsApp Previous articleGrand Prix racing returns to city streetsNext article‘Until Bill produced, we’re debating a press release’ – Cllr Kennedy adminlast_img read more

Posted on Leave a comment

Leading industry figure claims Reservation Agreements being ‘foisted’ on industry

first_imgTwo leading industry figures have crossed swords on Twitter over the proposed new Reservation Agreements being prepared for a government trial later this year, and the advisory group preparing the document.On Friday The Negotiator reported that the 150-member Kate Faulkner-led Home Buyers and Seller’s Group (HBSG) had finalised the wording for a trial of the Reservation Agreements which, she has subsequently pointed out, will now be assessed by the Ministry of Housing.But in trademark combative style, Henry Pryor has claimed on Twitter that the agreements will not speed up the process and will just “give conveyancers time to thrash out the details that should have been prepared earlier and add to the cost of buying and selling”.FoistedPryor also claimed that the agreements will be ‘foisted’ on the industry like Home Information Packs were by Labour during the noughties and that Faulkner’s group has too many ‘grey hairs’ that are not involved in the day-to-day selling of homes.But Pryor met his match online when Mike Day of industry consultancy Integra Property Consulting joined the fray, who sits on the HBSG and, like the others, give his time for free.He rebuffed Pryor’s comments that the HBSG is a ‘quango’ and pointed out that its composition had changed in recent months to include members with more operational experience.Day also invited Pryor to join the group, rather than pull it apart from the outside, although Pryor did not flatly turn down the invitation.The comments by Day and Pryor were made during an online debate about Reservation Agreements within the social media platform initiated by Simon Badbury of estate agency Thomas Morris.integra property Services henry pryor Mike Day reservation agreements December 9, 2019Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Home » News » Leading industry figure claims Reservation Agreements being ‘foisted’ on industry previous nextRegulation & LawLeading industry figure claims Reservation Agreements being ‘foisted’ on industryBuying agent and media pundit Henry Pryor has also claimed that the agreements will not speed up the process as intended.Nigel Lewis9th December 20190494 Viewslast_img read more