Posted on Leave a comment

Inter Link future starts to take shape after buyout

first_imgIrish bakery group McCambridge has outlined plans for Inter Link, after it bought the cake company from administration on July 20.The new enlarged group, which now includes Inter Link’s 11 bakeries, will focus on organic growth, following several acquisitions by Inter Link in recent years, sources told British Baker.Speciality breads and cakes ranges, as well as increasing market share in the UK, will be priorities. The Soreen brand is seen as a particular opportunity for expansion in the UK and Ireland.Inter Link’s Polish bakery will be used as a platform for expansion into European countries, including new EU accession states such as Romania, as well as Germany and Russia.McCambridge plans to brand the expanded business as ’McCambridge’, while developing the individual brands of the various former Inter Link bakeries in the UK, including Yorkshire Cottage Bakeries and Jesse Oldfield.It will keep a regional head office in Blackburn. Some functions will be combined with its offices in Oxford and County Dublin.Meanwhile, several Inter Link creditors have told British Baker that McCambridge is in the process of contacting them and negotiating supply arrangements. One supplier said that following “open” discussions, it had “reached a satisfactory position, supplying the same range as before”.McCambridge management is believed to be working its way around the Inter Link estate and working through a contact list of 1,640 Inter Link creditors. Around 30% of creditors control 80% of the debt, according to sources.Over the past decade McCambridge has grown from a regional Irish business with a bakery in Leinster. Since 1999, three acquisitions have been made in Ireland and six in the UK, in the speciality breads and cakes sector.The six UK acquisitions were WR & SV Hussey, West of England Bakeries, Plymouth Premier Bakeries and Plymouth Premier Pasties, Aldreds the Bakers, Queen of Hearts and Tredinnick Fine Foods.McCambridge chief executive Michael McCambridge said its new Inter Link businesses “have excellent people, famous brands and strong products. It is my intention to ensure that over 90% of the jobs will be protected.”McCambridge had already built up a shareholding in Inter Link of 8.9%, valued at £1m, before Inter Link suspended share trading in June, due to its debt mountain of around £63m.An analyst told British Baker it was “inevitable” that Inter Link would be placed into administration when shares were suspended, after four profit warnings.last_img read more

Posted on Leave a comment

TAXI-DRIVER FOUND NOT GUILTY OF SEXUAL ASSAULT OF WOMAN IN CAB

first_imgA taxi-driver put his head in his hands with relief after he was found not guilty of sexually-assaulting a 20 year old woman in his cab. Jacob Okornoe, of 57 The Elms, Letterkenny had pleaded not guilty to the charge on November 28th, 2010.The father of three appeared at Letterkenny Circuit Court today and was found not guilty by a majority verdict after they deliberated for more than two hours. The court was told that Okornoe, 35, put his hand on the young woman’s leg and made suggestive advances towards her.The woman, who cannot be named, told the court that she had been out at her Christmas party with colleagues and got a taxi home.Another man in the taxi got out and she headed home in the front passenger seat.She claimed just five minutes into the journey, the driver starting talking suggestively to her.“He said I was making him hard and that I was a good looking girl. He put his left hand on my right leg and started rubbing it. I pushed him off and told him to stop – he did it again and I was really frightened.“I understood that hard meant is that I was making his penis hard,” she said.The young woman asked to get out of the taxi but the driver locked the doors and didn’t speak for the rest of the journey.“I was really scared” said the woman.She eventually arrived at a friend of her sister’s house and told them what had happened.Later that day she made a complaint to Gardai.The cab-driver was tracked down by CCTV as he was wearing an unusual hat.The hat was found by Gardai who came to his home with a search warrant.When interviewed, the taxi-driver said he never made any sexual suggestions or put his hand on the woman’s legs and dint even remember what she was wearing.He said he thought the woman was a bad woman because she said she was married and that she had just cheated on her husband.He said he came from a Christian family and that he loved his wife.He said the woman became angry when he asked her not to smoke in his cab.Barrister for the accused, Damian Crawford, appealed to the jury to consider their judgement very carefully.“A conviction for sexual assault is not just for Christmas, it’s for life,” he warned.After two hours, the jury returned and said they could not reach a unanimous verdict.Judge John O’Hagan said he would then accept a majority verdict of 11 to 1 or 10 to 2.The jury returned again a short time later and said they had found the taxi-driver not guilty.TAXI-DRIVER FOUND NOT GUILTY OF SEXUAL ASSAULT OF WOMAN IN CAB was last modified: February 2nd, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:letterkennynot guiltysexual assaulttaxi-driverlast_img read more