Posted on Leave a comment

DONEGAL OYSTERS BANNED AFTER NOVOVIRUS SCARE

first_imgOYSTERS produced in Donegal have been banned in Hong Kong, it has emerged.An outbreak of the food-poisoning novovirus has led to the import of raw oysters produced in Donegal being banned by Hong Kong’s centre for food safety (CFS), part of the territory’s food and environmental hygiene department.“While following up on recent food poisoning outbreaks caused by norovirus, the CFS was notified by the Irish authorities that the virus was found in a raw-oyster-processing plant in Donegal county,” the agency said in a statement. “For the sake of prudence, the CFS has banned the import of all raw oysters from Donegal county into Hong Kong since February 17th.”The agency also said that, despite the ban, the CFS had since found raw oysters originated from Donegal imported into Hong Kong via France.“The importer concerned has voluntarily surrendered the batch of raw oysters concerned to the CFS for disposal,” it said.The investigation is ongoing.  DONEGAL OYSTERS BANNED AFTER NOVOVIRUS SCARE was last modified: March 3rd, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bandonegalnovovirusoysterslast_img read more

Posted on Leave a comment

Celtic crowned Telkom Knockout champs

first_img3 DecemberBloemfontein Celtic captured South Africa’s Telkom Knockout Cup for first time in the club’s history with a 1-0 victory over Mamelodi Sundowns at Moses Mahbida Stadium in Durban on Saturday night.It was a bitter pill to swallow for Sundowns, who have won only two of their 12 PSL games so far, leaving them second from bottom of the standings. They had viewed the Cup final as an opportunity to turn around their season. Instead they lost out to a controversial goal.Joel Mogorosi was awarded the winner in the 47th minute, but it was questionable whether the whole ball crossed the line after his header was cleared by Clayton Daniels. Long-time football followers will know, however, that when matters get bad, bad decisions seem to follow those teams.‘The goal came out of nowhere’“The goal came out of nowhere,” said Sundowns’ coach Johan Neeskens after the game. “I still want to see the replay. I’m not sure whether the ball was fully over the line.”He graciously added: “I have to congratulate Bloemfontein Celtic because when they beat teams like Orlando Pirates, Free State Stars and also us, then they deserve to win this Cup.”Unfortunately for the Dutch great, it was his last match in charge of the club, which fired him on Monday and replaced him with former Bafana Bafana coach Pitso Mosimane.It was a wonderful occasion for Celtic coach Clinton Larsen, who led his team to the title in front of family and friends in the city where he played most of his professional football.‘An emotional ride’“What an emotional ride, a roller-coaster ride. I’m so proud of my boys today. They gave it their all,” he said in a post-match interview.“I said from the beginning it would have been an injustice had we not won this cup after the route we’ve had [to take] and I’m ecstatic.”Questioned about what he said to lift his team at the break, Larsen said: “What I said to the boys is that we had the best chance in the first half. We weren’t playing our best football at all and we were well in the game, and I said that’s a sign that this cup was meant for us.”Sweeping attacking moveA sweeping attacking move in the ninth minute created some space for Teko Modise, who tested Celtic goalkeeper Patrick Tignyemb with a left footed shot from just outside the box. The Cameroonian net-minder was up to the task, diving to his right to bat the ball away, which left Modise looking skywards, palms held upwards beseechingly.In the 16th minute Lennox Bacela had an excellent opportunity to put Celtic ahead when he rounded the Brazilians’ defence after his marker slipped. Bacela, though, was indecisive and shot later than he should have, allowing Wayne Sandilands to block his effort with his feet.Sundowns responded with a long range shot from Temba Zwane, which flew over the top of the Celtic goal, and an angled shot, wide of the mark, by Richard Henyekane, who had been played in after a neat interchange of passes.Shaved the postOn the half-hour mark, Ruzaigh Gamildien showed good control on the edge of the Sundowns’ box to create space for himself and fire off a shot that shaved Sandilands’ left post.Zwane forced Tignyemb to tip a shot over the bar after he let fly from an angle on the edge of the box five minutes from the break.GoalJust two minutes into the second half, Sandilands misjudged a cross from the left and the ball fell to Mogorosi just outside Sundowns’ right hand post, about seven metres out. He headed goalwards. Daniels cleared, but the linesman ruled the ball had crossed the line. Replays suggested the decision was incorrect, bit the goal stood.A lovely, flowing attack by Celtic almost gave them a second goal five minutes later. Gamildien received the ball from the right and fired across goal, once again shaving the keepers’ left hand post.Sundowns’ Eleazar Rodgers fired wide right of the mark with a volley after picking up a loose ball on the edge of box just before the hour-mark.Penalty appealThe Pretoria club pushed hard for an equaliser, but a shot by Modise deflected into the hands of Tignyemb and an appeal for hand ball was dismissed by the referee.In time added on, Gamildien came close to delivering the killer blow for Celtic when he robbed the last ‘Downs defender and smashed the ball across goal. It struck the inside of the post and rebounded out, leaving him without a goal, but as close to a hat-trick as one could come.A snap shot on the turn by Anthony Laffor, which passed narrowly wide of the Celtic goal, was the Brazilians’ last effort of the contest and Celtic went on to victory.Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

Posted on Leave a comment

Eddie Alvarez not backing down from ‘toughest, most dangerous’ guys in ONE

first_imgView comments MOST READ Lacson backs proposal to elect president and vice president in tandem SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte In fact, he tracks them down.Alvarez fought against the best in Bellator and the UFC where he had won world titles and he wants the fiercest warriors that ONE Championship has to offer in the lightweight division.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption charges“I have traveled the world in the last 15 years fighting the best guys I can get my hands on everywhere,” said Alvarez, who signed with ONE Championship five months ago.“I have won every single World Title from every major organization and ONE Championship is the only organization that I don’t have their world title.” PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss LATEST STORIES P2.5 B shabu seized in Makati sting, Chinese national nabbed Eddie Alvarez has always been a fighter who never shies away from any challenge.ADVERTISEMENT Hong Kong tunnel reopens, campus siege nears endcenter_img Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Yeng Guiao early ejection ‘blessing in disguise’ for NLEX in crucial win Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Trump campaign, GOP groups attack Google’s new ad policy 1 dead, 3 injured in Quezon road crash Alvarez had taken down some of the big names in Shinya Aoki, Roger Huerta, Gilbert Melendez, Anthony Pettis, Rafael Dos Anjos, and Justin Gaethje and he’s out for more.“Like I said before, I’ll fight anyone, whoever the baddest, toughest, most dangerous guy that’s who I want,” Alvarez said.“Take me to him and we will have a good fight.”The 35-year-old Alvarez makes his keenly-awaited ONE debut against the heavy-handed Russian Timofey Nastyukhin on March 31 in a lightweight World Grand Prix quarterfinal in ONE: A New Era in Tokyo, Japan.Filipino MMA superstar Eduard Folayang currently holds the lightweight belt.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Urgent reply from Philippine ‍football chieflast_img read more