The biggest music-streaming service in the world, Spotify, has signed a new major partnership with Samsung, the biggest smartphone producer in the world. Spotify will now be the official music service provider for all of Samsung’s products, including smartphones, televisions, tablets, watches, and speakers. In the future, when you purchase a Samsung product, Spotify will be integrated into the set-up process on new devices, as well as merged into Samsung’s voice assistant program and Samsung’s smart-home apps.Although never directly addressed by Spotify CEO Daniel Ek, there is now a clear competition between Spotify and Apple‘s Apple Music, as the latter app comes readily installed on all of Apple’s iPhones and also just landed a deal to give Verizon smartphone customers six months of free service. With Samsung being the biggest smartphone producer in the world, Spotify should have a less strenuous battle reaching smart-phone users around the world. Plus, unlike Apple Music’s subscription-only service, Spotify offers an ad-supported listening tier that costs nothing for the consumer, allowing a more pleasant experience for first-time Spotify users unfamiliar with the app’s interface.In a recent Q&A with his own company, CEO Daniel Ek explained that the partnership,Reduces the friction for users to get Spotify up and running on multiple Samsung devices once the accounts have been linked” and “allows us to create a seamless music listening experience together for the user that would be hard for either of us to build alone.” He added, “We believe that this significant long-term partnership will provide Samsung users across millions of devices with the best possible music streaming experience, and make discovering new music easier than ever — with even more opportunities to come.So what does this mean for Spotify? It’s likely we will see a rise in overall Spotify users and artists joining the platform. It also could mark the transition out of a completely Apple-product dominated world, but we’ll just have to wait and see. [H/T Rolling Stone]
Jul 29, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – After more than 1,300 cases of Salmonella infection in 43 states over 3 months, investigators have finally found a smoking gun: a contaminated jalapeno pepper from the home of a Colorado resident who was sickened in the outbreak.The jalapeno tainted with the outbreak strain, Salmonella enterica serotype Saintpaul, was provided by a patient from Montezuma County, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) announced yesterday. The county is in the state’s southwestern corner.”The pepper was purchased at a local Wal-Mart, likely on June 24, and the individual became ill on July 4,” the agency said in a news release. “This is the first pepper linked directly to an ill person in this outbreak.”Previously investigators had found the outbreak pathogen in a jalapeno at a Texas produce distributor but had not found it in any produce from the homes of patients.The Colorado announcement came yesterday as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that the outbreak had increased to 1,304 cases in 43 states, plus Washington, DC, and Canada. Thirty-seven people became ill this month, and the latest reported illness onset date was Jul 12, the CDC said. The epidemic peaked in May.Tomatoes were long suspected as the cause of the outbreak, which was first publicized in early June, and investigators still have not excluded them as the possible cause of some early cases. But on the basis of investigations of several restaurant-related case clusters, suspicion fell on jalapeno and Serrano peppers early in July.On Jul 9 the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned that vulnerable groups, including the elderly, infants, and people with weakened immunity, should not eat raw jalapeno or Serrano peppers. Eight days later, the agency dropped its weeks-old warning against eating certain types of tomatoes. On Jul 21 the FDA announced that a jalapeno contaminated with the outbreak strain had been found at a distributor in McAllen, Tex.On Jul 25 the agency cleared US-grown peppers of blame for the outbreak but said consumers should continue to avoid eating raw jalapeno peppers from Mexico. The FDA also said people in high-risk groups should continue to avoid raw Serrano peppers grown in Mexico.See also: Jul 28 Colorado Department of Health news releasehttp://www.cdphe.state.co.us/release/2008/072808.htmlCDC update on the outbreakhttp://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/saintpaul/FDA Salmonella outbreak pagehttp://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/tomatoes.html#news
Versailles, In. — One of the owners of the Holton area property where an underage drinking party occurred has been charged with furnishing alcohol to a minor, a misdemeanor. Witnesses told police Melissa Wilhoit gave jello shots and a bottle of vodka to one of the underage visitors to her home.Just after midnight on June 14 police received a call about an underage drinking party in the 6500 block of Ripley County Road 400 West. When police arrived some suspected underage subjects fled on foot. Police arrested Christopher Begley, Isaiah Begley, Emma Wilhoit, Danielle Baugh, Mackenzie Black and Kylan Brandt. During the investigation police allegedly witnessed the minors playing “beer pong.”Melissa Wilhoit and Paul Tunny were sleeping in the home when police arrived.Melissa Wilhoit is listed as a teacher at South Ripley High School. South Ripley School Corporation superintendent Rob Moorhead told WRBI they are working with legal counsel as the case develops.
“Bernie is out of the sport and of a different generation but this is exactly what is wrong – ignorant and uneducated comments which show how far we as a society need to go before real equality can happen,” Hamilton wrote on Instagram. “If someone who has run the sport for decades has such a lack of understanding of the deep-rooted issues we as black people deal with every day, how can we expect all the people who work under him to understand? “It starts at the top.” F1, which has come under fire from Hamilton for its lack of diversity, distanced itself from Ecclestone’s remarks. Loading… Read Also: Video: Ramos fires home wonder free kick against Real Mallorca “At a time when unity is needed to tackle racism and inequality, we completely disagree with Bernie Ecclestone’s comments that have no place in Formula 1 or society,” it said in a statement. “Mr Ecclestone has played no role in Formula 1 since he left our organisation in 2017, his title Chairman Emeritus, being honorific, expired in January 2020.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 World champion Lewis Hamilton labelled Bernie Ecclestone as “ignorant and uneducated” on Friday after the former F1 supremo claimed that “black people are sometimes more racist than white”. Controversial remarks: Bernie Ecclestone with Lewis Hamilton Ecclestone, who was F1 supremo for four decades, had been asked to comment on Hamilton’s recent anti-racism initiatives. While praising the six-time world champion for his campaigning, 89-year-old Ecclestone doubted that the creation of the driver’s Hamilton Commission, which hopes to steer more black youngsters into motor racing, will have any great effect. “I don’t think it’s going to do anything bad or good for Formula One,” he told CNN. “It’ll just make people think which is more important. I think that’s the same for everybody. People ought to think a little bit and think: ‘Well, what the hell. Somebody’s not the same as white people and black people should think the same about white people.’ “In lots of cases, black people are more racist than what white people are.” When challenged to elaborate, Ecclestone admitted he was unable to provide any evidence for his opinion, saying simply that he had “noticed” it over the years. Hamilton, the only black driver on the grid, hit back at Ecclestone.