Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” News The latest victim was Mostafa Hamed, a reporter based in Fallujah, in the western province of Al Anbar, where he works for the local TV channel Sharqeya. He was arrested at his home at 2 a.m. on 9 June by policemen who did not tell him what he was charged with, and was finally released today without being charged. According to the information gathered by the Journalistic Freedoms Observatory (JFO), RSF’s partner NGO in Iraq, Hamed had been investigating the involvement of Fallujah city hall leaders in a real estate scandal. Sharqeya is owned by Saad al Bazzaz, a local businessman and political rival of Al Anbar’s governor, who tried to get the TV channel closed last December. The other recent victim is Hossam al Kaabi, a reporter based in Najaf, 180 km south of Baghdad, who has repeatedly been harassed in connection with his coverage of an alleged corruption case involving the Najaf provincial airport’s former governing board. What with money, women and threats, every kind of method has been used in an attempt to silence his reporting on the case, he said. The corruption case is however by no means a secret. He has also been the target of dozens of legal actions. The latest method was an arrest warrant, which resulted in his having to pay the large sum of 15 million dinars (10,745 euros) in bail to obtain his release on 6 June. The warrant was the result of a complaint filed by Najaf airport’s former administration four days after Kaabi’s main media outlet, the NRT network’s Arabic-language channel, was forced to close for financial reasons. Defended by a consortium of lawyers, Kaabi told RSF he is concerned about the outcome because of the lack of judicial independence in Iraq. “These two arrest warrants highlight the different kinds of difficulties for journalists in Iraq, which not only include being unjustly prosecuted but also the risk of seeing your work used for the purposes of the political rivalry,” said Sophie Anmuth, the head of RSF’s Middle East desk. “The absurd proceedings against Hossam al Kaabi must be dropped and the authorities must do their duty to protect journalists who are the target of threats.” As Kaabi points out on Facebook, in theory Iraqi law protects the right of journalists to seek information and sources. But in practice, as JFO has often reported, local officials act with impunity when they use judicial pressure and sometimes death threats to pressure journalists who investigate corruption. Iraq is ranked 160th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2018 World Press Freedom Index. RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” December 28, 2020 Find out more IraqMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting sources Judicial harassment June 12, 2018 Covering corruption exposes journalists to arrest in Iraq News Follow the news on Iraq Help by sharing this information News Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns the arrests to which two investigative reporters have been subjected in different parts of Iraq in the past few days in connection with their coverage of corruption, and calls for an end to the harassment of these journalists. to go further February 15, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Hossam al Kaabi IraqMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting sources Judicial harassment Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan RSF_en News Organisation December 16, 2020 Find out more
Limerick businesses urged to accept Irish Business Design Challenge Advertisement WhatsApp TAGSbusinessLimerick CityMarks & SpencerNews Limerick on Covid watch list Ann & Steve Talk Stuff | Episode 29 | Levelling Up Twitter NewsBusinessMarks and Spencer to anchor €60 million city developmentBy Bernie English – July 31, 2019 2628 Exercise With Oxygen Training at Ultimate Health Clinic Email Previous articleEnable Ireland sucks up the eco-friendly messageNext articleTwelve year Bad Reputation celebrated Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! Linkedin Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook Thefts of catalytic converters on the rise #crimeprevention The former tourist office at Arthurs QuayTHERE has been a widespread welcome for news of a proposed development at Arthur’s Quay in which Marks and Spencer would be the anchor tenant.Limerick’s Tiernan Properties has signed heads of agreement with the British retail giants to become the anchor tenant for a major €60 million development on the city’s Arthur’s Quay.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Chief executive Michael Tiernan told the Limerick Post that the plans are “at an early stage but we will now hopefully have a discussion with Limerick City and County Council and subject to a successful outcome to those discussions, we will move forward.”The development will be dependent on other factors, mostly delivery of infrastructure outlined in the Limerick 2030 plan which has already been adopted and acted on by the local authority.The new development will involve a site currently occupied by the former Limerick Tourism office at Arthur’s Quay, but public amenities in the park itself will not be affected.The British chain has been linked to various sites in Limerick city and suburbs over several decades, but has no outlet in the area.The clothing, food and homewares retailer has now agreed to be the main tenant in the proposed 18,580sq m (200,000sq ft) mixed-use development.Tiernan Properties said there had been “significant interest” from other major brands in the project, which is expected to boost footfall in the centre of Limerick.The developers said getting a “key target” like Marks & Spencer on board “validates the wider project” and would prove pivotal for Limerick.“We have a lot of work to do but as this is a development in line with the aims of the 2030 plan, we believe it would support that plan,” Mr Tiernan said.Limerick Chamber chief executive Dee Ryan said the announcement that the Arthur’s Quay development is to go ahead was another major boost for the city and region.“This is more great news for Limerick and the wider city region. To have this and the Ryder Cup 2026 announced for Limerick on the same day is incredible. It shows where the city, county and region is headed.”“This huge injection of private investment in retail is an important signal of market confidence and ongoing work to revitalise Limerick city centre. We are powering ahead in so many respects as we develop a thriving urban experience for people who live in, work and visit Limerick.“The retail community, in particular, welcome a boost exactly like this to help attract more people from Limerick and neighbouring counties into the city,” she addedMayor Michael Sheahan said that along with all the other plans for Limerick, the multi-million euro investment by Tiernan Properties would help revitalise the city centre.”“Confirmation that Marks and Spencer is to be the anchor tenant will see the company open its very first store in the mid-west region. It has been a long time coming and I am delighted that such a sought after retailer is opening a store here,” Mayor Sheahan concluded.
Home Local News Business Low-level Andrews nuke dump finds buyer The recent sale of Waste Control Specialists ensured that the low-level radioactive waste dump in Andrews County will continue operating with its workforce intact, ending the struggling company’s search for a buyer.But the acquisition of WCS, announced Friday, offered no sign that the efforts to begin storing up to 40 tons of high-level waste would resume. WCS was sold by Dallas-based Valhi Inc. to J.F. Lehman and Company, a middle-market private equity firm that invests in the government, defense, aerospace and maritime sectors.“The main thing is that nothing changes at the Andrews disposal facility,” WCS spokesman Chuck McDonald said. “The disposal operations will continue as they have been, so that’s obviously very positive.”Last summer, WCS lost an antitrust suit brought by the U.S. Department of Justice that successfully blocked a merger with Utah-based Energy Solutions on antitrust grounds. Energy Solutions, which also specializes in decommissioning nuclear power plants, owned the only other low level nuclear waste dump for three dozen states.Before losing the suit, WCS asked the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission to temporarily suspend a review of the company’s application to store high-level nuclear waste, so the company could first sort out the merger while struggling to find the money to continue the licensing process. WCS had expected higher waste volumes than the company realized, prompting an effort to find new shipments that included the pursuit of approval to store high-level waste.Such a facility, if approved, would be the first of its kind and help settle the contentious question of what to do with America’s highly radioactive waste until a permanent solution is found. Today that waste is stored in radioactive pools at power plants for at least five years and then in thickly walled casks.J.F. Lehman is also in the business of decommissioning nuclear power plants, after recently acquiring NorthStar Group Services, which sends waste to WCS. The company did not indicate any plans to pursue a license of high-level waste.“WCS is a unique asset that, together with our recent acquisition of NorthStar Group Services, will allow us to provide a complete and cost-effective decommissioning solution for U.S. nuclear utilities,” Alex Harman, a partner at J.F. Lehman, said in a statement.WCS CEO Rod Baltzer released a statement saying he would not remain with the company but would consult during the transition.His replacement, NorthStar CEO Scott State, said in a statement said the company looks forward to “engaging utility and government customers to develop strategic solutions to long-term needs for treatment and disposal of radioactive waste, including a substantial expansion of WCS’s intake of Class A waste for disposal.”Class A waste is the least radioactive classification of low-level radioactive waste.More Information WhatsApp Local NewsBusiness Low-level Andrews nuke dump finds buyer By admin – February 1, 2018 WhatsApp Pinterest Pinterest Rattler Midstream: 4Q Earnings Snapshot Waste Control Specialists prepare for the grand opening in November 2011 of the Texas Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Compact Facility in Andrews County. WCS may become a temporary storage facility for high-level nuclear waste if the license it seeks is approved. Twitter Twitter Here is a link to the WCS website.Here is a link to Texas Tribune coverage Fruit Salad to Die ForCreamy Fruit SaladSouthern Style Potato SaladPowered By 10 Sec Croissant Breakfast Sandwich Casserole NextStay Facebook Previous articleEmpty Bowls benefits the West Texas Food BankNext articleFive things you need to know today, Feb. 1 admin RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Octopus Energy U.S. to Discount Customers’ Bills by as Much as 90% Snap Inc. to Participate in the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference 2021 Facebook
Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Sign up for DS News Daily David Wharton, Managing Editor at the Five Star Institute, is a graduate of the University of Texas at Arlington, where he received his B.A. in English and minored in Journalism. Wharton has over 16 years’ experience in journalism and previously worked at Thomson Reuters, a multinational mass media and information firm, as Associate Content Editor, focusing on producing media content related to tax and accounting principles and government rules and regulations for accounting professionals. Wharton has an extensive and diversified portfolio of freelance material, with published contributions in both online and print media publications. Wharton and his family currently reside in Arlington, Texas. He can be reached at [email protected] Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago May 29, 2018 3,957 Views Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago About Author: David Wharton in Daily Dose, Featured, Journal, News, Servicing Share Save CFO mortgage servicing Ocwen Ocwen Financial Corporation 2018-05-29 David Wharton Related Articles Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Subscribe tweet Ocwen Financial Corporation, a Florida-based financial services holding company, announced that EVP and CFO Michael Bourque has made the decision to resign to accept a position with another financial services company.In a press statement, the company said that “Bourque’s resignation is not due to any disagreement with Ocwen relating to the company’s operations, policies, or practices.” Bourque’s resignation is effective June 22, 2018. He will remain active and engaged in his role with the company through June 22.“We would like to thank Michael for his financial leadership and his many contributions over the last four years,” said Ron Faris, President and CEO of Ocwen. “While at Ocwen, Michael has focused his efforts on ensuring the Company is in solid financial standing and is well positioned for future success. We respect Michael’s personal decision, and we wish him the best in his new position.”The company reported that they have begun a search for qualified internal and external candidates to fill the CFO position.Bourque’s resignation comes only a few weeks after President and CEO Ron Faris announced his own impending resignation. Faris will remain President and CEO through June 30, 2018, and will remain a consultant to the company. Ocwen’s Board of Directors appointed Glen A. Messina as President and CEO, effective concurrently with the closing of Ocwen’s previously announced acquisition of PHH Corporation. He will also be appointed as a member of Ocwen’s Board at that time. Messina will be based at Ocwen’s West Palm Beach, Florida, corporate headquarters. Ocwen announced its acquisition of PHH Corporation for $360 million in February 2018.Earlier this month, the company released the details of its earnings for Q1 2018, reporting a net income of $2.6 million for the three months ended March 31, 2018. This is up considerably over Ocwen’s Q1 2017 net loss of $32.6 million—a gain of $35.2 million.The company reported that pre-tax income for Q1 2018 totaled $5.0 million, a $35.5 million improvement over Q1 2017. The servicing segment recorded $20.5 million of pre-tax income for Q1, marking the seventh consecutive profitable quarter for the business. Finally, the company’s lending side recorded $8.8 million of pre-tax income for Q1 2018, a $7.7 million increase over Q1 2017.The company reported 11,598 loan modifications during Q1. Seventeen percent of these loan modifications included debt forgiveness, which totaled $59 million.The company also reported a decrease in loan delinquencies from 9.3 percent as of December 31, 2017, to 9.0 percent as of March 31, 2018. It explained this decrease as “primarily driven by loss mitigation efforts.” The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago Previous: Home Prices Accelerate, But Not Everywhere Next: The State of Mortgage Lending and Servicing Print This Post Home / Daily Dose / Ocwen CFO Resigns—Here’s What’s Next for the Servicer Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Tagged with: CFO mortgage servicing Ocwen Ocwen Financial Corporation Ocwen CFO Resigns—Here’s What’s Next for the Servicer The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago
Hertfordshire has led the way by becoming the first county to sign up to The R&A’s Women in Golf charter.The charter is designed to develop a more inclusive culture within golf, to encourage increased participation from women and girls and to allow them to reach their full potential as golfers.Clubs and counties that sign up to the charter are committed to providing a welcoming and inspiring environment for women to play the sport or to work in the golf industry.In particular, Hertfordshire has set the following short-term goals:Achieve and maintain no less than 30% female representation on their Board of directors.Deliver a minimum of six initiatives a year targeting women/girls and familiesPromote the retention pathway for juniors focusing on increased girls’ participationAssist clubs in achieving SafeGolf accreditationStabilise female affiliation numbers at 15% of total membership over the first yearIncrease female participation in championships by 5%Appoint a charter champion to promote, activate and report on the progress of the aimsEsther Strous has been nominated as the charter champion for the county and is thrilled to take on the role.She said: “This really puts down on paper our outline policy to drive women’s and girls’ golf in the county.“It’s very detailed and sets strategic goals.“That was deliberate so that we take ownership of this and show to our clubs what the county is doing, how they can follow our example and why it’s a good idea.“The more clubs we can get to sign up to the charter the better it will be and our aim is for 15 in the first year.“We will be holding a club forum at the end of month with the charter on the agenda so that we can explain what it is and what they can do to get on board.”Hertfordshire’s commitment to the Women in Golf charter follows hot on the heels of another achievement.The county was one of the first in England to achieve SafeGolf accreditation which safeguards young people and vulnerable groups involved in golf. 16 Mar 2020 Hertfordshire blaze a trail with Women in Golf charter Tags: Hertfordshire, Women in Golf Charter