WhatsApp Twitter Advertisement CONCERNS have been raised among Defence Forces representatives about an expected influx of new and transferred personnel without a corresponding spend on facilities at Sarsfield Barracks in the city. Under the new organisational proposals, the Defence Forces are reducing the number of brigades which they have, and will be moving hundreds of personnel from some areas of the country to others. No personnel are expected to be moved from Limerick but it is anticipated that several hundred soldiers from Cork may be transferred to Sarsfield Barracks.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up In addition to this, the force is currently recruiting to expand its ranks by 600 in various disciplinesBut the Permanent Defence Force Other Ranks Representative Association (PDFORRA,) says there is confusion about the move and has warned that infrastructure and facilities could come under pressure with the influx to Limerick city.“We would expect that this will not all happen at once, it will be over a period of time so, initially, the barracks and existing personnel in Limerick should be able to cope,” Gerry Rooney, General Secretary of PDFORRA, told the Limerick Post.But he added that further down the line, there may be serious pressure on the facilities an space at the barracks unless the department spends money on upgrading and facilitating in some areas.PDFORRA says it is “unclear” at this point whether defence personnel are going to be told where to go or if they will have choices.“We want to see our members having choice because there are many who might want to relocate to Limerick.“We don’t want to see people forced into anything. We also want to see them being given a choice of upskilling or retraining. There are some areas where we don’t have enough qualified personnel and others where we have too man. It’s a matter of matching one to the other,” Mr Rooney said.Reducing the number of personnel engaged in headquarters, admin and allied support tasks is a central element to the reorganisation process, according to PDFORRA Linkedin Facebook NewsLocal NewsSoldiers influx could put strain on barracksBy admin – August 22, 2012 818 Print Email Previous articleLimerick to Galway train not on right trackNext articleDeirdre Lawlor has… The X Factor admin
iStock(CINCINNATI) — Cincinnati is slated to become the next city to ban discrimination against natural hair as it relates to employment and housing opportunities as well as public accommodations.On Wednesday, Cincinnati City Council member Chris Seelbach announced plans of the new law.“I’m introducing historic, first city in the country, legislation today to add ‘natural hair’ to our city’s non-discrimination policy,” Seelbach wrote on Twitter.“After hearing that California passed a similar law this summer, I reached out to friends and colleagues and quickly heard real stories of discrimination they’d experienced,” Seelbach told Good Morning America.“I don’t think my hair has ever once been considered in any job I ever applied for, and I think that should be the case for everyone,” he adds. “I felt inspired to pursue adding natural hair to our city’s non-discrimination policy and so we began the next steps; research, community outreach, and drafting a new law.”To kick off this initiative, Seelbach and his team worked with Cincinnati’s law department to review New York and California’s previously passed laws to figure out the best way to draft language that fits the needs of their community.With strong support from community and colleagues, an ordinance was introduced, and it will be considered in the Equity, Inclusion & the Arts committee next Tuesday.Next, a vote from the full council is expected on Wednesday, Oct. 9. At least five out of nine votes are required for passage.“The state of California and the state of New York have passed natural hair non-discrimination laws covering all of their residents, and this year the New York City Commission on Human Rights issued new guidelines protecting residents from this type of discrimination,” said Jon Harmon, legislative director for Seelbach. “Cincinnati is proud to be among the very first cities in America to codify a ban on this discrimination with a vote of council.”Kamara Douglas, Seelbach’s administrative and community affairs director, played a key role in spearheading the proposed legislation.“From my kinks to my coils, I have grown to love my natural hair,” said Douglas. “Unfortunately, we live in a world where some institutions don’t think natural hair is professional or becoming. Not only is this demeaning, but it can also affect an individual’s sense of identity. The natural hair ordinance is so important for people of color and passage of this law reflects Cincinnati’s embrace of all members of its community.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.