Posted on Leave a comment

Media continue to work warily in wake of Jean-Bertrand Aristide’s departure

first_img June 11, 2019 Find out more The media were continuing their work warily following the departure of Jean-Bertrand Aristide and shooting and arson attacks against five radio or TV stations.Reporters Without Borders was able to check with some of them in what mood they had resumed work on 1 March.”It is not really a question of living in terror, but we are very much on our guard because the chimères are still armed,” said Achille Louis-Marie, managing editor of Radio Métropole. His view was shared by Vario Sérant, the boss of Télé Haïti: “We are taking great care. Remember that several of us have had to go into hiding these past few days to escape attack.” Until yesterday afternoon the chimères were outside some radio stations. “We have resumed working, but we are taking great care. The situation is still very tense,” said Marie-Lucie Bonhomme, head of Radio Vision 2000. Aristide supporters attacked five stations on 29 February. Reporters Without Borders made several appeals to both sides to end the use of violence. “At this time of extreme confusion, the Haitian people need above all to get independent and reliable news,” said Robert Ménard, secretary general of the international press freedom organisation.Most pro-government media have stopped broadcasting. Radio and Télé Ti Moun, both run by Aristide’s foundation, along with Télé Eclair and Télé Max went off air shortly before the president’s departure. Public Télévision nationale d’Haïti (TNH) continued to broadcast on 29 February, interviewing the interim president and later, in the evening, the opposition.Overnight on 27-28 February supporters of the ruling Fanmi Lavalas party machine-gunned the offices of Radio Vision 2000, one of the major privately-owned stations in Port-au-Prince. The station manager, Léopold Berlanger, said the radio had to close. Following this attack the privately-owned Kiskeya temporarily took its news programmes off air. The Radio Vision 2000 office came under machine-gun fire again on 29 February and was partially burned. The radio was hoping to get police protection and to resume broadcasting from 2 March.Armed men ransacked the offices of Télé Haïti on 29 February, the sole remaining television channel that was independent of the government. “Everything was stolen or broken,” said its boss Marie-Christine Blanc, in a message that reached Reporters Without Borders. She said that the attackers had used a bus to force the gate in front of the station, causing the security guards to flee. Later in the day a staff member had been able to return, accompanied by the police.Head of news at Télé Haïti, Vario Sérant, said some of the wreckers wore Aristide t-shirts and had surrounded the building since the previous evening. Damage was estimated at several hundred thousand dollars. The building also housed the offices of Radio France Internationale (RFI) which briefly suspended broadcasts on Haiti.Four days earlier, a Télé Haïti crew of journalist Jhenny Favélus and cameraman Claude Cléus, had been threatened and set upon when they tried to return their office. Their assailants threatened to “march on Télé Haïti”. Sérant said they then burned tyres and erected barricades around the station forcing the staff to leave the premises. The attacks continued the following day.Still on 29 February, Radio Métropole reported that privately-owned Radio Ibo in Port-au-Prince had been attacked and forced to suspend news broadcasts. Another radio station in the capital, Signal FM, had come under fire. Radio Métropole interrupted news programmes for two hours after receiving telephoned threats. In Léogane, Radio Passion was ransacked by Aristide supporters.At least three other media had come under attack or threat during last week.The offices of the radio Echo 2000, at Petit-Goâve (70 kms southwest of Port-au-Prince) were torched on 26 February by suspected pro-Aristide attackers. On 3 December 2001, pro-government assailants murdered a journalist at the station, Brignol Lindor. They were never brought to justice despite making public confessions.On 24 February, Michel Jean and Sylvain Richard, journalist and cameraman on television channel Radio Canada, were shot at by pro-Aristide chimères in the north of Port-au-Prince. In a 23 February statement, Reporters Without Borders condemned unprecedented attacks against the foreign press the previous week.The management of pro-government Radio Solidarité, said on 26 February that it had been received death and arson threats the night before. Help by sharing this information HaïtiAmericas to go further Receive email alerts News News Organisation Journalists continued working despite attacks on the media that following the departure of Jean-Bertrand Aristide from the National Palace (photo). Some of them spoke to Reporters Without Borders about the mood in which they resumed work on 1 March. During just one day, on 29 February, five radio or TV stations came under attack. March 1, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Media continue to work warily in wake of Jean-Bertrand Aristide’s departure News News Violence against the press in Haiti: RSF and CPJ write to Minister of Justice November 14, 2019 Find out more October 11, 2019 Find out more Another journalist murdered in Haiti HaïtiAmericas Journalist shot dead amid anti-government protests in Haiti RSF_en Follow the news on Haïtilast_img read more

Posted on Leave a comment

Case adjourned pending directions of DPP

first_imgNewsLocal NewsCase adjourned pending directions of DPPBy admin – October 4, 2011 941 WhatsApp A CONVICTED gang rapist has been granted bail at Limerick District Court after he was arrested and charged with an assault on a woman, as well as breaches of the public order act. 24-year-old Dean Barry with an address at Garryglass Avenue was arrested after gardai were called to a disturbance on Vartry Avenue, Raheen. Barry was found at the scene to be involved with a number of others as part of a verbal dispute. Gardai told Limerick District Court that he was seen shouting and roaring at people in the vicinity shortly after 9.30pm.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up During the course of their initial investigation, gardai gave evidence that Barry was seen striking out at a female and punching her in the face. He was said to have been very abusive and highly intoxicated.Judge Eamon O’Brien heard that the accused man was arrested and charged with the offences and held to appear before court on September 29 last.Dean Barry has 47 previous convictions, including the gang rape of a woman in Cratloe while her boyfriend was locked in the car booth.Judge Eamon O’Brien consented to bail after no objection was made by the State and he was ordered to sign on, stay away from the alleged injured party and the area.Ted McCarthy solicitor was assigned as legal aid for the accused and the matter was adjourned until November 24 next for the directions of the DPP to be furnished to the court. Advertisement Print Emailcenter_img Facebook Twitter Previous article32-year-old man charged with Purcell murderNext articleLynxs deal launchpad for global cargo hub admin Linkedinlast_img read more