June 11, 2019 Find out more The media were continuing their work warily following the departure of Jean-Bertrand Aristide and shooting and arson attacks against five radio or TV stations.Reporters Without Borders was able to check with some of them in what mood they had resumed work on 1 March.”It is not really a question of living in terror, but we are very much on our guard because the chimères are still armed,” said Achille Louis-Marie, managing editor of Radio Métropole. His view was shared by Vario Sérant, the boss of Télé Haïti: “We are taking great care. Remember that several of us have had to go into hiding these past few days to escape attack.” Until yesterday afternoon the chimères were outside some radio stations. “We have resumed working, but we are taking great care. The situation is still very tense,” said Marie-Lucie Bonhomme, head of Radio Vision 2000. Aristide supporters attacked five stations on 29 February. Reporters Without Borders made several appeals to both sides to end the use of violence. “At this time of extreme confusion, the Haitian people need above all to get independent and reliable news,” said Robert Ménard, secretary general of the international press freedom organisation.Most pro-government media have stopped broadcasting. Radio and Télé Ti Moun, both run by Aristide’s foundation, along with Télé Eclair and Télé Max went off air shortly before the president’s departure. Public Télévision nationale d’Haïti (TNH) continued to broadcast on 29 February, interviewing the interim president and later, in the evening, the opposition.Overnight on 27-28 February supporters of the ruling Fanmi Lavalas party machine-gunned the offices of Radio Vision 2000, one of the major privately-owned stations in Port-au-Prince. The station manager, Léopold Berlanger, said the radio had to close. Following this attack the privately-owned Kiskeya temporarily took its news programmes off air. The Radio Vision 2000 office came under machine-gun fire again on 29 February and was partially burned. The radio was hoping to get police protection and to resume broadcasting from 2 March.Armed men ransacked the offices of Télé Haïti on 29 February, the sole remaining television channel that was independent of the government. “Everything was stolen or broken,” said its boss Marie-Christine Blanc, in a message that reached Reporters Without Borders. She said that the attackers had used a bus to force the gate in front of the station, causing the security guards to flee. Later in the day a staff member had been able to return, accompanied by the police.Head of news at Télé Haïti, Vario Sérant, said some of the wreckers wore Aristide t-shirts and had surrounded the building since the previous evening. Damage was estimated at several hundred thousand dollars. The building also housed the offices of Radio France Internationale (RFI) which briefly suspended broadcasts on Haiti.Four days earlier, a Télé Haïti crew of journalist Jhenny Favélus and cameraman Claude Cléus, had been threatened and set upon when they tried to return their office. Their assailants threatened to “march on Télé Haïti”. Sérant said they then burned tyres and erected barricades around the station forcing the staff to leave the premises. The attacks continued the following day.Still on 29 February, Radio Métropole reported that privately-owned Radio Ibo in Port-au-Prince had been attacked and forced to suspend news broadcasts. Another radio station in the capital, Signal FM, had come under fire. Radio Métropole interrupted news programmes for two hours after receiving telephoned threats. In Léogane, Radio Passion was ransacked by Aristide supporters.At least three other media had come under attack or threat during last week.The offices of the radio Echo 2000, at Petit-Goâve (70 kms southwest of Port-au-Prince) were torched on 26 February by suspected pro-Aristide attackers. On 3 December 2001, pro-government assailants murdered a journalist at the station, Brignol Lindor. They were never brought to justice despite making public confessions.On 24 February, Michel Jean and Sylvain Richard, journalist and cameraman on television channel Radio Canada, were shot at by pro-Aristide chimères in the north of Port-au-Prince. In a 23 February statement, Reporters Without Borders condemned unprecedented attacks against the foreign press the previous week.The management of pro-government Radio Solidarité, said on 26 February that it had been received death and arson threats the night before. Help by sharing this information HaïtiAmericas to go further Receive email alerts News News Organisation Journalists continued working despite attacks on the media that following the departure of Jean-Bertrand Aristide from the National Palace (photo). Some of them spoke to Reporters Without Borders about the mood in which they resumed work on 1 March. During just one day, on 29 February, five radio or TV stations came under attack. March 1, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Media continue to work warily in wake of Jean-Bertrand Aristide’s departure News News Violence against the press in Haiti: RSF and CPJ write to Minister of Justice November 14, 2019 Find out more October 11, 2019 Find out more Another journalist murdered in Haiti HaïtiAmericas Journalist shot dead amid anti-government protests in Haiti RSF_en Follow the news on Haïti
Linkedin WhatsApp NewsLocal NewsBrick thrown through window of moving carBy admin – September 12, 2012 535 Print Twitter AN O’BRIENSBRIDGE motorist had an horrific experience when a rock was fired at his car, shattering his window and cutting his arm.Anthony Hayes was driving past the railway tracks at Longpavement last week when a person jumped out and hurled a rock at his jeep.The window shattered and shards of glass came flying in, cutting his arm. Anthony’s wife, Leeanne Hayes, contacted the Limerick Post to warn other drivers about the incident.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “It was dreadful. He was in complete and utter shock. Luckily, there was no-one behind him as he had to really break hard. It was a terrifying experience,” Leeanne said. The incident happened so quickly that Mr Hayes couldn’t see whether the person who threw the rock was an adult or not. The incident happened at around 9.30pm.Leeane said that her husband contacted the gardai to report the matter “and we were told this is not the first time this has happened along there. It was very traumatic and we wanted other drivers to be aware that this has happened along that road”. Previous articleTwo convicted of soliciting sex from undercover gardaiNext articleParents and children warned of suspicious approaches admin Email Facebook Advertisement
Limerick businesses urged to accept Irish Business Design Challenge Advertisement WhatsApp TAGSbusinessLimerick CityMarks & SpencerNews Limerick on Covid watch list Ann & Steve Talk Stuff | Episode 29 | Levelling Up Twitter NewsBusinessMarks and Spencer to anchor €60 million city developmentBy Bernie English – July 31, 2019 2628 Exercise With Oxygen Training at Ultimate Health Clinic Email Previous articleEnable Ireland sucks up the eco-friendly messageNext articleTwelve year Bad Reputation celebrated Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! Linkedin Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook Thefts of catalytic converters on the rise #crimeprevention The former tourist office at Arthurs QuayTHERE has been a widespread welcome for news of a proposed development at Arthur’s Quay in which Marks and Spencer would be the anchor tenant.Limerick’s Tiernan Properties has signed heads of agreement with the British retail giants to become the anchor tenant for a major €60 million development on the city’s Arthur’s Quay.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Chief executive Michael Tiernan told the Limerick Post that the plans are “at an early stage but we will now hopefully have a discussion with Limerick City and County Council and subject to a successful outcome to those discussions, we will move forward.”The development will be dependent on other factors, mostly delivery of infrastructure outlined in the Limerick 2030 plan which has already been adopted and acted on by the local authority.The new development will involve a site currently occupied by the former Limerick Tourism office at Arthur’s Quay, but public amenities in the park itself will not be affected.The British chain has been linked to various sites in Limerick city and suburbs over several decades, but has no outlet in the area.The clothing, food and homewares retailer has now agreed to be the main tenant in the proposed 18,580sq m (200,000sq ft) mixed-use development.Tiernan Properties said there had been “significant interest” from other major brands in the project, which is expected to boost footfall in the centre of Limerick.The developers said getting a “key target” like Marks & Spencer on board “validates the wider project” and would prove pivotal for Limerick.“We have a lot of work to do but as this is a development in line with the aims of the 2030 plan, we believe it would support that plan,” Mr Tiernan said.Limerick Chamber chief executive Dee Ryan said the announcement that the Arthur’s Quay development is to go ahead was another major boost for the city and region.“This is more great news for Limerick and the wider city region. To have this and the Ryder Cup 2026 announced for Limerick on the same day is incredible. It shows where the city, county and region is headed.”“This huge injection of private investment in retail is an important signal of market confidence and ongoing work to revitalise Limerick city centre. We are powering ahead in so many respects as we develop a thriving urban experience for people who live in, work and visit Limerick.“The retail community, in particular, welcome a boost exactly like this to help attract more people from Limerick and neighbouring counties into the city,” she addedMayor Michael Sheahan said that along with all the other plans for Limerick, the multi-million euro investment by Tiernan Properties would help revitalise the city centre.”“Confirmation that Marks and Spencer is to be the anchor tenant will see the company open its very first store in the mid-west region. It has been a long time coming and I am delighted that such a sought after retailer is opening a store here,” Mayor Sheahan concluded.
20SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr,John Pettit John Pettit is the Managing Editor for CUInsight.com. John manages the content on the site, including current news, editorial, press releases, jobs and events. He keeps the credit union … Web: www.cuinsight.com Details While there will always be leaders and followers, a great employee is one who can do both. Your challenge as a leader is to empower your employees to perform with excellence and tackle challenges without the need for constant direction. Here are some ways you can empower your staff.Be supportive: You can be supportive without micro-managing and peering over your employees’ shoulders all day. Give employees direction as they fail, and help mold them into future leaders who will one day lead their own staff to make independent choices.Hold them accountable: One of the most important things about letting employees take the reins, is giving them the opportunity to learn from their mistakes. Holding employees accountable for their own actions will improve both effort and results. Treating all of your employees’ failures the same way will help motivate them to make a habit of being successful.Get on the same page: Your business relies on employees taking a project from beginning to end. Sometimes employees only have a small role in a project and can’t see the importance of every little detail. Openness in your organization should include letting your team have a glimpse at the big picture so they can see how all of the small parts work together to complete the overall goal. When everyone is on the same page, your team’s work is far more effective.
Denver, Co. — A study by the Clean Label Project has revealed two-thirds of baby food in United States has tested positive for arsenic and other dangerous toxins. The same study determined 80 percent of baby formula contains the deadly poison as well.Experts say exposure to arsenic can affect motor skills, cognition, growth and organ development.The study examined at total 500 baby food products, some very popular.The Clean Label Project is a Denver, Colorado-based organization committed to looking beyond the label and marketing terms to give consumers information they need to select products that contain the fewest poisons and food additives. For more information about the Clean Label Project look here.