Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” News The latest victim was Mostafa Hamed, a reporter based in Fallujah, in the western province of Al Anbar, where he works for the local TV channel Sharqeya. He was arrested at his home at 2 a.m. on 9 June by policemen who did not tell him what he was charged with, and was finally released today without being charged. According to the information gathered by the Journalistic Freedoms Observatory (JFO), RSF’s partner NGO in Iraq, Hamed had been investigating the involvement of Fallujah city hall leaders in a real estate scandal. Sharqeya is owned by Saad al Bazzaz, a local businessman and political rival of Al Anbar’s governor, who tried to get the TV channel closed last December. The other recent victim is Hossam al Kaabi, a reporter based in Najaf, 180 km south of Baghdad, who has repeatedly been harassed in connection with his coverage of an alleged corruption case involving the Najaf provincial airport’s former governing board. What with money, women and threats, every kind of method has been used in an attempt to silence his reporting on the case, he said. The corruption case is however by no means a secret. He has also been the target of dozens of legal actions. The latest method was an arrest warrant, which resulted in his having to pay the large sum of 15 million dinars (10,745 euros) in bail to obtain his release on 6 June. The warrant was the result of a complaint filed by Najaf airport’s former administration four days after Kaabi’s main media outlet, the NRT network’s Arabic-language channel, was forced to close for financial reasons. Defended by a consortium of lawyers, Kaabi told RSF he is concerned about the outcome because of the lack of judicial independence in Iraq. “These two arrest warrants highlight the different kinds of difficulties for journalists in Iraq, which not only include being unjustly prosecuted but also the risk of seeing your work used for the purposes of the political rivalry,” said Sophie Anmuth, the head of RSF’s Middle East desk. “The absurd proceedings against Hossam al Kaabi must be dropped and the authorities must do their duty to protect journalists who are the target of threats.” As Kaabi points out on Facebook, in theory Iraqi law protects the right of journalists to seek information and sources. But in practice, as JFO has often reported, local officials act with impunity when they use judicial pressure and sometimes death threats to pressure journalists who investigate corruption. Iraq is ranked 160th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2018 World Press Freedom Index. RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” December 28, 2020 Find out more IraqMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting sources Judicial harassment June 12, 2018 Covering corruption exposes journalists to arrest in Iraq News Follow the news on Iraq Help by sharing this information News Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns the arrests to which two investigative reporters have been subjected in different parts of Iraq in the past few days in connection with their coverage of corruption, and calls for an end to the harassment of these journalists. to go further February 15, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Hossam al Kaabi IraqMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting sources Judicial harassment Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan RSF_en News Organisation December 16, 2020 Find out more
News to go further Help by sharing this information News News “The conviction of the three people who carried it out should not be taken to mean the investigation is over”, the press freedom organisation said. Ending a trial begun in January 2006, a Kiev court today found three former police officers – Mykola Protasov, Oleksandr Popovich and Valeri Kostenko – guilty of carrying out the 2000 murder of investigative journalist Georgiy Gongadze. As requested by prosecutors, Protasov was sentenced to 13 years in prison. The other two were sentenced to 12 years.Reporters Without Borders hails this outcome, but regrets that those who gave the others for Gongadze’s murder still have not been identified.“We are obviously pleased with this verdict,” the press freedom organisation said. “But justice has not yet been fully rendered in the Gongadze case, which shook the entire nation. The instigators of this murder have still to be identified and punished. The conviction of the three people who carried it out should not be taken to mean the investigation is over.”Ukraine’s deputy prosecutor-general Mykola Holomsha, said at the start of the month that he was waiting for the results of the expert analysis of the recordings made by former President Leonid Kuchma’s bodyguard, Mykola Melnychenko. As soon as they are known, the court could formally charge “certain persons” with organising Gongadze’s murder, he said.The editor of the online newspaper Ukrainskaya Pravda, which he created in April 2000, Gongadze often wrote about cases of alleged corruption involving members of the Kuchma government. He was also an active campaigner for more press freedom in Ukraine. He was 31 years old when he was kidnapped on 16 September 2000. A headless body found near Kiev six weeks later was identified as his. Organisation News RSF_en Receive email alerts UkraineEurope – Central Asia UkraineEurope – Central Asia March 15, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Three former policemen convicted of Gongadze murder but instigators have yet to identified Crimean journalist “confesses” to spying for Ukraine on Russian TV Follow the news on Ukraine March 26, 2021 Find out more September 7, 2020 Find out more February 26, 2021 Find out more Ukrainian media group harassed by broadcasting authority Ukraine escalates “information war” by banning three pro-Kremlin media
Arrested at his home near Cairo on 23 May, Abbas is accused of being a member of a “terrorist organization” – the government’s label for the Muslim Brotherhood – and of publishing false news. These two charges are used almost systematically against government opponents and have no legal or factual basis. The authorities have not said which information published by Abbas constituted false news. And the claim that he belongs to terrorist organization has no credibility. Furthermore, he has long been an outspoken critic of the Muslim Brotherhood. The only real grounds for his arrest was his use of the right to free speech and the freedom to inform. Wael Abbas @ Hisham Gaafar February 6, 2021 Find out more Less press freedom than ever in Egypt, 10 years after revolution February 1, 2021 Find out more News Amid growing persecution of journalists in Egypt, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) has asked the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention to formally recognize the arbitrary nature of the detention of two Egyptian journalists, Hisham Gaafar and Wael Abbas, and to publicly call on the Egyptian authorities to release them at once. “Ever since Gen. Sisi seized power in Egypt in 2013, the press freedom situation has worsened steadily while the number of arbitrary arrests of journalists has continued to grow,” said Paul Coppin, the head of RSF’s legal unit. A well-known Egyptian journalist and blogger who has often covered police violence, Abbas, 43, has received international awards from such entities as the BBC, CNN and Human Rights Watch. He has also often posted about human rights violations and police abuses on Twitter, which was until recently the last space for (relatively) free speech in Egypt and where he had 350,000 followers. News Organisation Gaafar, 53, has been deprived of his freedom for no valid reason for the past 33 months, ever since his arrest on 21 October 2015. He, too, is accused of belonging to a “terrorist” group. He often criticized the Muslim Brotherhood’s positions. RSF is referring their cases to the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention, a UN Human Rights Council offshoot, because it has the competence to determine whether individual cases of detention contravene international law. If the Working Group agrees that these two journalists are being held arbitrarily, RSF wants it to say so officially and to call on the Egyptian authorities to free them. News In Egypt, at least 32 journalists and citizen-journalists are currently detained in connection with their work. Few of them have been tried. Most have been detained preventively for months or even years and, in all cases, on trumped up charges. January 22, 2021 Find out more to go further Given the time Gaafar has been held without trial, the lack of appropriate medical care for his various ailments, the conditions in which he is being held (his cell is not even lit) and the spurious grounds for his arrest, his detention is also clearly arbitrary and contrary to international law. In his case, too, the real reason for his arrest was his use of the right to freedom of expression. Help by sharing this information News RSF_en “Many journalists are currently denied their freedom for no valid reason and the cases of Wael Abbas and Hisham Gaafar are just the first that RSF will refer to the United Nations. It is essential that the UN should put pressure on the Egyptian authorities and obtain their release.” EgyptMiddle East – North Africa Activities in the fieldProtecting journalistsInternational bodies ImprisonedUnited Nations Egypt is ranked 161st out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2018 World Press Freedom Index. EgyptMiddle East – North Africa Activities in the fieldProtecting journalistsInternational bodies ImprisonedUnited Nations Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein back home after four years in prison August 1, 2018 RSF refers arbitrary detention in Egypt to UN Working Group Receive email alerts Detained woman journalist pressured by interrogator, harassed by prison staff Follow the news on Egypt
Advertisement NewsLocal NewsMurder investigation begins after fatal stabbingBy admin – January 18, 2012 498 Facebook Print Previous articleEagles soar to final spotNext articleMentors sought for Le Cheile Mentoring Project admin A MURDER garda investigation is to get underway in Limerick after a 43-year-old man was found outside a house with multiple stab wounds by members of the ambulance service. The man was found by the emergency services outside a house on Lenihan Avenue shortly after 12.30am in the early hours of Wednesday morning. Gardai from Roxboro were alerted to attend the scene and they say that the man was found on the steps outside the front door of the house in the city with multiple stab wounds and he was taken to the Mid Western Regional Hospital.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up WhatsApp Twitter Linkedin However the man was later pronounced dead.The State Pathologist’s office attended the scene which has been sealed off and a technical examination of the area is being carried out by the Garda Technical Bureau.A postmortem is to be carried out on the remains.It is understood that the victim was known to gardai and was from the area. Email
Anne Hathaway in ‘Grounded'(Photo: Joan Marcus) View Comments Anne Hathaway is bringing her latest stage role to the big screen. The Oscar winner will reprise her performance in George Brant’s Grounded in a film adaptation, according to Variety. Hathaway will also produce the project. No word yet on a director or production timeline.Hathaway recently won the Lucille Lortel Award for her performance in the solo show. She is also up for Drama League and Outer Critics Circle Awards.Grounded explores the consequences of war and the struggle to find a balance with home life. Hathaway plays a fighter pilot reassigned to a remote-controlled drone. She endures 12-hour shifts hunting targets from her Air Force trailer, then goes home to her family in the suburbs for another 12 hours.Prior to her stint in Grounded at the Public, Hathaway appeared on the New York stage in Twelfth Night at the Delacorte Theatre and Carnival at Encores!. She won an Oscar for playing Fantine in Les Miserables and her numerous additional screen credits include Interstellar, The Dark Knight Rises, Love & Other Drugs, Rachel Getting Married and The Devil Wears Prada.