Facebook Print AMID threats to withdraw payment of rates and make city council bankrupt, traders did not mince their words of condemnation when they demanded immediate action from City Hall in order to save what remains of Limerick’s city centre’s retail business.They pointed to, and requested:Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up * Poor garda presence on the streets* expensive parking* dirty streets* magnificent wide paths but no footfall* beggars and heroin addicts causing intimidation* incentive for shoppers to “come into town”* first hour of on-street parking free* paint the frontages of the premises in the Opera Centre or demolish it entirely* more ground floor parkingSpeaking at a meeting with Mayor Kevin Kiely and Fine Gael councillors, they said that compared to Dublin, Cork and Galway, Limerick city is not on the map.Chief executive of Limerick Chamber, Maria Kelly, was acutely critical of the lack of co-operation and goodwill between the Limerick City and County Councils.“There is no messing in Cork’s city centre because there are gardai all over, and in terms of image, Limerick’s is the worst in the country. We have no visitors at the weekends unless there’s a big match – we need to make this a destination city. In Cork, everyone is involved – we need to do the same as what we have now is a crisis situation – people held at knifepoint in their premises is terrible”. Over 100 traders told the FG councillors that they are now literally on their knees. The mayor, on behalf of the nine FG councillors had invited them to voice their concerns which they, as the “pro business party” on the council, would take to the city manager.“We are pro-business and have to decide how best to promote you the traders and stabilise jobs,” Cllr Ger Fahy told one trader, who wanted to know what City Hall is going to do to maintain business in Cruises Street, William Street and throughout the city.Calls were made for free parking days from 11am. It was said that landlords need to be penalised for leaving their premises to run down, “when as it is, we are being served fines for €300 for putting out signage to promote our businesses”.Ger Clancy of Clancy Electrical, said his family had been trading on O’Connell since 1936. They moved to the Parkway Roundabout last autumn, asserting that they had no option as City Hall had ignored their calls for essential parking.“I now have a pup’s chance of letting this main street premises in this ghost town. We must bring in a cardboard clock system of parking which would give people a chance to set the clock for one hour free parking – this would bring people in to do three or four messages at a time”.There was enthusiastic support for another trader’s call to demolish the empty premises in the Opera Centre area.“The few businesses that are still there are isolated and vulnerable, it’s not safe to walk there and in the summer months there is a revolting smell coming from some of these buildings”,The general manager of Brown Thomas said it is essential that a major anchor sets up in the city. The meeting heard from a female retailer how she has been held at knifepoint in her shop on three occasions. Twitter WhatsApp Advertisement Linkedin Email NewsLocal NewsTraders vent anger at city’s declineBy admin – February 18, 2010 604 Previous articleMinimum 12 hour wait for 46% of A&E patientsNext articleWorrying ‘remedy’ to drugs debt admin
[ready_google_map id=’3′]City Council voted unanimously Thursday to lease city-owned property to the American Legion for $1 a year, so it can build a bigger post in Ocean City. Proposed site for a new American Legion post at the corner of 46th Street and West Avenue in Ocean City, NJ.Council approved the first reading of an ordinance that authorizes the leasing of a vacant lot at the corner of 46th Street and West Avenue. A public hearing and second reading of the ordinance is scheduled for July 24.The American Legion Morvay-Miley Post in Ocean City currently leases space at 3304 Bay Avenue from Cape May County. But with 355 American Legion members, 100 members of the Sons of the American Legion and another 100 members of the Auxiliary, the veterans organization needs more space, according to Post Commander Bob Marzulli.If the ordinance passes, it would authorize a 50-year lease, and the post would be responsible for any construction costs. The use of the leased 70-by-100-foot lot would be restricted to “the housing, recreation, education or health care of veterans of any war of the United States.” If that use were ever to change, the lease would be terminated.“The city will have input as to the design of the building, and will take the site plan to the Planning Board for its review,” City Solicitor Dorothy McCrosson said.The vacant lot is adjacent to an Ocean City Fire Department station and is used to store construction materials and vehicles.As a veteran and member of the American Legion, Councilman Pete Guinosso recused himself from the discussion and vote. Three of the seven-member council are Sons of the American Legion. McCrosson said the Sons are not voting members of the organization and don’t enjoy the benefits of members, but she said the appearance of a conflict of interest could exist.Nonetheless, “a doctrine of necessity” permits governmental bodies to vote on public matters when a quorum can’t be achieved. She said the doctrine helps governments continue to do the work of the public when conflicts exist.Councilman Keith Hartzell likened the Sons of the American Legion to permanent guests.“You have to respect that you didn’t serve, and they did,” Hartzell said.The son of a veteran, Hartzell said he’s a member “to keep the memory of my father alive.”
Food distribution improvementThe food estates are deemed essential as the COVID-19 crisis has aggravated Indonesia’s food security issues.In late April, a month after the outbreak in the country, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo reported that key commodities, such as garlic, sugar, chili and chicken eggs, were in short supply in more than 20 provinces, while rice, a staple food for Indonesians, was lacking in seven provinces.The World Food Programme’s (WFP) Indonesia office has estimated that the country experienced a 13.2 percent year-on-year decline in rice production to 16.1 million tons in the first half of 2020.Making matters worse, the dry season looms on the horizon and may impact overall output of the agricultural sector, which employs more than a quarter of the nation’s workforce. Haunting mistakes of the pastDwi Andreas Santosa, an agriculture expert from the Bogor Institute of Agriculture (IPB), told the Post that history showed a series of government’s failures in developing food estates in at least the past 25 years.In the mid-1990s, President Soeharto’s administration sought to develop a similar project called Peatland Development (PLG) comprising around 1.4 million ha in Central Kalimantan. The Jokowi administration will use some of the former PLG land to develop its food estate.“I was part of the environmental risk analysis team. We had warned [the government] about the possibility of failing. And it totally failed,” Dwi said in a phone interview.“All of them failed because they ignored the scientific principles in their development,” he added. “To develop a food estate for food crops on a large scale, four important [requirements] must be met.”They are land and climate suitability, infrastructure for irrigation and transportation, cultivation and technological feasibility, as well as social and economic feasibility, according to Dwi.Dwi also said the food estate needed to produce at least 4 tons per ha to prevent losses, otherwise farmers would leave the project. Moreover, the government also needed to take into account the necessary labor.Each hectare will require at least four people, according to Dwi’s estimate.The Agriculture Ministry is providing production tools worth Rp 379 billion (US$25.4 million). The ministry has offered 98 four-wheel tractors, 150 two-wheel tractors and 35 rice transplanters.The Center for Indonesian Policy Studies (CIPS) lauded the government’s efforts to boost food production, but did not necessarily support the food estate program, it said in a statement provided to the Post on Thursday. The CIPS is of the view that the program, which involves peatland development, could have a negative impact on the local environment and the peat forest ecosystem.“[The program] could result in losses for farmers and certainly for the government, since it is not spending the budget properly,” CIPS researcher Galuh Octania said by text message on Sept. 26.The government should instead focus on policies to attract greater investment and encourage agricultural innovation to support domestic production, the think tank said in its statement. The Indonesian government is pinning its hopes for bolstering the nation’s food security on the development of food estates in Central Kalimantan and North Sumatra, despite a similar project having failed in the past and COVID-19 disrupting logistics today.In Central Kalimantan, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s administration plans to develop around 164,600 hectares of food estates for crops like rice, which is part of its National Strategic Projects for the 2020–2024 period.In the first phase, which commences this year, the government aims to develop around 30,000 ha, two-thirds of which will be located in Kapuas regency and the rest in Pulang Pisau regency. The Central Kalimantan food estate is estimated to produce 7 tons of rice per ha, Agriculture Minister Syahrul Yasin Limpo said in July.“Even though it started in September in two regencies, namely Pulang Pisau and Kapuas, we have developed around 4,200 ha as of today. The initial target for September was only 1,921 ha,” Indonesian Army chief of staff Gen. Andika Perkasa said in a statement on Tuesday.The Army has been helping the ministry with the food estate project in Central Kalimantan. On Tuesday, it inked an agreement with the Agriculture Ministry to partner on agricultural human resource development, among other things.Meanwhile, in North Sumatera, the government wants to develop a total of 61,000 ha of food estates for horticulture including potato, shallot and garlic, in the regencies of Humbang Hasundutan (Humbahas), Central Tapanuli, North Tapanuli and West Pakpak.The first phase of development of the North Sumatera food estates will cover 4,000 ha, which has been surveyed by the government from Sept. 20 to 24.This year, the government said, it would focus on developing a 1,000 ha center for agriculture training and technology in Humbahas, which would serve as a partnership model between farmers and investors.The Agriculture Ministry will handle 215 ha, and private investors will take 785 ha. According to the Office of the Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Investment Minister, food manufacturers PT Indofood Sukses Makmur, PT Champ Resto Indonesia and PT Calbee Wings Food have expressed interest in the project.“After we managed the food estate in Humbahas, our next big plan in 2021 will be developing the North Sumatra food estate not only in one regency, but we also want to support other regencies with this program,” Nani Hendiarti, the deputy of Environment and Forestry Management at the Office of the Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Investment Minister, said in a statement on Sept. 25. Read also: Pandemic disrupts food distribution across country, minister saysThe projects were also aimed at overcoming food distribution issues across the archipelago, land use change, especially in Java, and the increase of the country’s population, said Andriko Noto Susanto, the head of food availability and risks at the Agriculture Ministry’s Food Security Agency (BKP).“One of our approaches is to develop new food production centers outside the existing ones,” Andriko told The Jakarta Post in a phone interview on Monday.“So the Central Kalimantan food estate for food crops and the North Sumatra on for horticulture are the measure we take to provide new sources of food there.”The food estate in North Sumatera is expected to ease the country’s dependency on imports of garlic and other commodities where national production currently fails to meet national demand.For the May–December period, the Agriculture Ministry estimated Indonesia’s garlic imports would reach around 604,000 tons, mostly from China. It would add to the expected domestic production of 17,600 tons that could not meet the estimated demand of 377,500 tons on the period.“The one for horticulture in Humbang Hasundutan, North Sumatra, is very important for shallots, garlic and chili,” said Andriko. “We have a national surplus of chili, but since it is perishable, there will be a problem if the distribution gets disrupted. Developing new production centers is therefore important,” he added.The logistics disruption caused by restrictions enforced to contain COVID-19 has affected food delivery to many regions in Indonesia, particularly the eastern parts, Minister Syahrul also said earlier in July.Andriko also said the Central Kalimantan food estate was expected to improve rice distribution, which was presently too heavily concentrated on Java, with some other big production centers in Sumatra and South Sulawesi.The three main rice producing provinces of East Java, West Java and Central Java produce a combined 37 million tons a year, according to data from the Agriculture Ministry. The three provinces accounted for 67.8 percent of last year’s rice production, according to data from Statistics Indonesia (BPS). Editor’s note: This article has been revised to correctly state Center for Indonesian Policy Studies (CIPS) researcher Galuh Octania and CIPS statements.Topics :
The Barcelona fire sale gets bigger every time you read about it.Advertisement The Daily Mirror have now ramped up the number of players being made available by the Catalan club to nine. Read Also: Victor Moses faces uncertain future at Inter MilanArturo Vidal, Luiz Suarez and Ousmane Dembele are all on the list, and could all interest Premier League sides looking for a boost of quality – or a boost of PR from the headlines such a signing would generate.How many of these unwanted stars they can shift in this strange summer is another question, but it will have to be a few if they want to prise Neymar from PSG.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty PennyBest Car Manufacturers In The WorldThe Most Exciting Cities In The World To Visit9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooFantastic-Looking (and Probably Delicious) Bread ArtBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them7 Things That Actually Ruin Your PhoneWhat Is A Black Hole In Simple Terms?You’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearThe Funniest Prankster Grandma And Her Grandson Loading… That includes some which have been well covered, including Nelson Semedo and Philippe Coutinho, as well as some impressive new names – like last summer’s big signing Antoine Griezmann.The idea that the Frenchman is up for sale is pretty hard to swallow. The entire operation is said to be in order to raise funds for signing Neymar, but unless they were certain they could get the Brazilian, it seems unlikely they would entertain offers for their last big name buy.Antoine Griezmann
Tracy Domagala won the Xtreme Motor Sports IMCA Modified main event at Jamestown Speedway’s 45th annual Stampede. (Photo by Cody Papke)JAMESTOWN, N.D. (Oct. 15) – Tracy Domagala won’t just return to Jamestown Speedway next fall to defend his Xtreme Motor Sports IMCA Modified Stampede title.He’ll come back to buy a souvenir sweatshirt … the one with his name listed among the winners of the prestigious event.Domagala earned $2,000 along with a spot on the ballot for the 2017 Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational.“This has to be one of the biggest events in the three-state area,” Domagala said. “The trophy and the money are great but having your name on the sweatshirt for the rest of your life is really special.”Fifty-two IMCA Modified drivers vied at the 45th annual Stampede. Domagala, whose best finish in three starts this season at Jamestown was 11th, started ninth in the main event.“We knew we had a pretty tough row to hoe but we’ve been figuring some stuff out with this new Taylor Chassis,” he said. “I thought if I stuck on the bottom that maybe it would come in. Around lap 15 I got next to the leader (Tyler Hall) and ran with him side-by-side for a few laps.”“After I cleared him, with about 10 laps left, I stayed on the bottom,” Domagala continued. “From where I started I had thought a top five finish would be a good goal. Winning this race is a pretty big deal.”Hall, 15th starting Jason Wolla, Mike Greseth and Mark Dahl rounded out the top five.The Stampede was rescheduled from the final weekend of the point season due to inclement weather. Ryan Schroeder topped the $500 to win race for non-feature qualifiers.Feature results – 1. Tracy Domagala; 2. Tyler Hall; 3. Jason Wolla; 4. Mike Greseth; 5. Mark Dahl; 6. John Corell; 7. Ryan Mikkelson; 8. Josh Eberhardt; 9. Jarrett Carter; 10. Mark Trautner; 11. Dave Shipley; 12. Rich Pavlicek; 13. Marlyn Seidler; 14. John Nord; 15. Tyler Peterson; 16. Andrew Michel; 17. Eric Edwards; 18. Hank Berry; 19. Shawn Nostdahl; 20. Troy Heupel; 21. Marcus Tomlinson; 22. Jordan Huettl; 23. Greg Friestad; 24. Randy Kollman.Non-qualifier feature results – 1. Ryan Schroeder; 2. Travis Olheiser; 3. Dan Aune; 4. Mike Johnson; 5. Wayne Johnson; 6. Bob Banish Jr.; 7. Jordan Zillmer; 8. Quentin Kinzley; 9. Rusty Kollman; 10. Ben Mickelson; 11. Adam Fischer; 12. Kelly Hagel; 13. Dwight Wegner; 14. Kit Baumann; 15. Jerry Martin; 16. Travis Ulmer; 17. Josh Jones; 18. Jeremy Keller; 19. Chad Bush; 20. Myles Tomlinson; 21. Randy Klein; 22. Josh Anderson; 23. Jerry Lamb; 24. Tony Marsh; 25. Chad Hausauer; 26. Allan Fetzer; 27. Trent Grager; 28. Travis Hagen.